Major in History
A major in history consists of 30 SH in history including HIST 121 “Introduction to History and Methods” (3), and HIST 452 “Seminar in History” (3).
Ideally, majors should:
- take a wide range of history courses (United States, European and global)
- acquire a high level of proficiency in at least one foreign language
Details on courses offered and the major’s curriculum are available in the history program course catalog.
Major in History and Social Science
What Alumni Say
“My job is a dream job because I am able to work in a field I care deeply about – child abuse and neglect – and it provides an opportunity to use both my social work and legal education.”
- Angie Swartz Stephenson ’90, an assistant attorney general for the state of North Carolina
This interdepartmental major of 45 SH consists of studies in United States History (6 SH) and required focused study in the following areas:
- early or modern American history or African-American history
- European and world history
- area studies of Latin America, Africa, Asia, or the Middle East
- historiography and history research methods
- political studies
- social science
Courses and curricula are detailed in the catalog.