Student Employment

Finding student employment

EMU offers a variety of on and off campus employment opportunities to students with demonstrated financial need as determined by the results of the FAFSA.

For new students, the application process begins when the student receives an Award Letter that indicates he or she is eligible for student employment. Students are invited to contact one or more of the approximately 70 offices or departments that have student employment positions . Returning students who have not previously held a student employment position, or who wish to change student employment positions, follow a similar procedure.

Departmental supervisors select student employees based on personal contacts and interviews.

Application Process

  1. Once you have accepted a position, students must log into My EMU, navigate to the Financial Aid tab, and complete the Student Employment Form.
  2. After the financial assistance office receives the student employment application the required paperwork will be sent to the supervisor.
  3. Once all signed paperwork has been received; the student employment coordinator will activate an online time card for the student.
  4. Signed work study contracts, state tax forms, federal tax forms, and the federal I-9 will be turned in to the Human Resources Office.

A federal W-4, state VA-4, and Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) form must be completed for each new student employee. Proper identification is required for completion of the I-9 form. The most common forms of identification are a U.S. passport or a state driver’s license and social security card. The Human Resources Office is required by law to view the original documents for the I-9 form.

Time Cards and Payment

Online Time Cards should be finalized the Friday after your pay period ends and paychecks are distributed every two weeks. Students can elect to have their paychecks sent directly to their bank account by filling out our Direct Deposit Form.

Frequently asked questions

Please contact the Financial Assistance Office with questions.

Phone: 800-330-9683 or 540-432-4137