Engineering at EMU
As an engineering student at EMU, you will flourish in small classes where professors mentor you 1:1.
In addition to the expected academic rigor, you will learn critical thinking skills and prepare to be part of an inter-connected world through cross-cultural study, an emphasis on sustainability, and acquisition of skills to serve the common good.
Two Concentrations:Mechanical Computer
All engineering majors enroll in a robust core of challenging math and science courses, including an engineering core of 30 credits, a math/science core of 33 credits, and also a concentration of 18 upper-level credits in either mechanical engineering or computer engineering. The flowchart for engineering courses will help you map out your college path.
Engineering schools can spit out good technicians, but what we really need are technicians who have some heart…
~Johann Zimmermann, engineer
My engineering classes have given me a level of understanding I couldn’t get in a large lecture hall.
~Jake Bontrager-Singer, EMU graduate
At EMU, what benefits you the most are smaller class sizes … and being involved in a community that’s there for your success.
~Eric Moyer '03, project engineer for Boeing
What You Need To Know
Award-winning student research
A bike project at EMU took top honors among 61 other competitors in the first and second-year design team division at the American Society for Engineering Education’s (ASEE) Zone 2 Conference.
Some Engineering Facts
Mechanical Engineer'sMedian Salary
Our Engineering Faculty
Daniel King, PhDAssistant Professor
Daniel King graduated with a bachelor’s degree from Goshen College, where he majored in physics and music. He received his MS and PhD degrees in theoretical and applied mechanics from the University of Illinois, where his research focused on the dynamic interactions between ultrasound and contrast agent microbubbles.
Engineering Advisory Board
- Owen Byer (chair) – professor of mathematics
- Sara Atwood – assistant professor of engineering and physics at Elizabethtown College
- Ashley Driver – director of operations at Howell Metal, New Market, Virginia
- John Swartzendruber ’79 – former computer engineer at Eli Lilly, Indianapolis, Indiana
- John-David Yoder – chair and professor of mechanical engineering at Ohio Northern University
- Eric Moyer ’03 - project engineer with Boeing in Everett, Washington
- Johann Zimmermann - civil and structural engineer for JZ Engineering based in Harrisonburg, Virginia
Find out more about engineering at EMU!