Shenandoah Valley Youth Symphony & Concert Orchestra
Fall 2022 Season
Fall 2022 rehearsals begin on Sunday, September 18. The rehearsals for the symphony will run from 2-4:10pm and for the orchestra they will run from 2:30-4pm.
Admission to the Youth Symphony and Concert Orchestra is by audition only. Auditions will be held September 4 & 11 from 2-3:30pm.
To schedule your audition, please call 540-432-4277, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Auditions will be held in EMU's Lehman Auditorium.
- Play one prepared piece (3-4 minutes) without accompaniment (SRO excerpts are fine)
- 2 or 3-octave scale, your choice
- Sight reading
About the Youth Symphony
The Shenandoah Valley Youth Symphony, conducted by Dr. Yi-Ping Chen, provides a unique, high-level orchestral experience for advanced wind, brass, strings, and percussion students of the greater central Shenandoah Valley area.
The purpose of the Youth Symphony is:
- to experience a broad range of symphonic literature
- to broaden training in an orchestral setting
- to experience a high level of music-making
- to express individual creativity through concerto performances and performances of student compositions
- to provide an orchestral forum not otherwise available for most wind and percussion players
The Youth Symphony meets on Sunday afternoons from 2:00-4:10 pm on the Eastern Mennonite University campus in Harrisonburg, VA. Rehearsals are held for 8 weeks in the fall and 12 weeks in the winter/spring, with a free public concert at the end of each session.
About Concert Orchestra
The Shenandoah Valley Concert Orchestra, conducted by Kimberly Souther, provides an intermediate-level orchestral experience for string students of the Greater Central Shenandoah Valley area.
In 2014, the Youth Symphony Fellowship Program was established through the generous donations of Bibb and Dolly Frazier. The Fellowship Program supports students who play at a high level and are committed to the Symphony through scholarship money for private lessons and tuition for the Symphony. Priority is given to instrumentalists needed to maintain a solid orchestra. Please consider joining Debbie Warnaar and Brian Bauer in making a donation to ensure that the Fellowship Program continues.
There are two types of Fellowships: partial (covers Youth Symphony tuition) and full (covers Youth Symphony tuition and assistance with private lesson expenses). In order to be considered for a Fellowship award, you must:
- Submit a recommendation letter from your private teacher (email is fine) prior to your audition to our director, Kimberly Souther, email@example.com.
- Commit to the entire season
- Audition by September 2022 (scale of your choice, prepared piece of your choice, sight-reading)
- Be an ambassador for the Youth Symphony at your school (promoting auditions and concerts)
- Assist the conductor or program director with duties that are decided after the auditions.
SVYS & SVCO Fall 2022 Schedule
(Members will receive a detailed rehearsal schedule)
- Auditions for Fall of 2022 will be held September 4 & 11
- Rehearsals begin September 18, 2022
Junior Strings provides the first step to becoming an orchestral musician. Students learn about seating within the orchestra, bowing, articulation, and how to follow a conductor. Repertoire focuses on blending together as a group and working together as a musical team. No audition necessary!
Jr. Strings will meet every Sunday from 2:30-4pm on the Eastern Mennonite Campus in Harrisonburg, VA.