Preparatory Music Program
Shenandoah Valley Preparatory Music became a program of EMU’s department of music in 1988 and is dedicated to providing the highest quality music education to all students in the central Shenandoah Valley regardless of age, race, ability, financial circumstances, or ethnic origin through private and/or group instruction in a variety of musical areas as well as through performance settings. Under the direction of administrative director Sharon M.D. Miller, musical instruction is given to over 400 students in the following areas:
- Instrumental music instruction: violin, viola, cello, double bass, piano, flute, guitar; Suzuki violin, viola, cello, piano, and flute.
- Musikgarten: ages infant to 6 years. Call 540-432-4277 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information about class openings.
- Shenandoah Valley Youth Symphony and Junior Strings: grades 3-12
- Harrisonburg City School After-School Violin Program: grades 3-5 in the elementary schools and grades 6-8 in the middle schools.
For more information contact email@example.com.
Office phone: 540-432-4277
Office email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Strings Camp Information
Our Shenandoah Valley Strings Camp will be held at EMU on June 25-28, 2018. There will be a variety of offerings.
- Suzuki Strings Day
- Chamber Music Camp
- Suzuki Violin Pre-Twinklers (ages 3-5) and Early Beginners (up to age 7)
- Adult Chamber Music
Camp brochures and specific details will be available soon! Please contact the Preparatory Music Office to receive a brochure or for more information.
The Red Wing Academy will be held on July 8-11, 2018. This four-day summer music program will culminate with an onstage performance with The Steel Wheels at the Red Wing Roots Music Festival. Register Online Now
Our students and performances
Believing music can enrich everyone’s life and is to be shared, performances are arranged in formal and informal settings on EMU’s campus and throughout the community to provide quality music education to the residents of the greater central Shenandoah Valley area. Participants come from as far north and east as Woodstock and Luray and from as far south as Waynesboro and Lexington. Students also travel from West Virginia.
- Preparatory Teachers’ Solo & Ensemble Concert March 4 at 4:30pm, Martin Chapel
- Junior Strings and Youth Symphony Concert March 18 at 4 pm, Lehman Auditorium, $7 suggested donation
- Spring Recitals, April 20 at 7 pm, Martin Chapel, April 21 at 10 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, Martin Chapel, April 22 at 3 pm, Lehman Recital Hall
- Senior Prep Recitals, April 20 at 7 pm, Lehman Recital Hall, April 22 at 5 pm, Lehman Recital Hall
Interested in learning more about music lessons at EMU? Contact the preparatory music program offices at 540-432-4277 or email@example.com. We’d love to hear from you!
The EMU music program offices, both preparatory music and the undergraduate academic program, are located on the lower level of Lehman Auditorium. On the main floor of Lehman you’ll find a mainstage auditorium that houses performances, weekly chapel, university events, and more. On the lower level you’ll find the music program offices (through the glass double doors), faculty offices, a recital hall, individual practice rooms, and more.