Who should apply?

This program is open to students who have already completed a baccalaureate degree but have continuing interest in health and human biology. The program is designed for students who want to enter medical, dental, or other professional health schools but lack the prerequisite coursework.

How long is the program?

To receive the master of science degree (48 SH) or master's in premedicine degree (50 SH), the program can be completed in 20 months. To receive the Biomedicine Certificate (24 SH), the program can be completed in 11 months.

How much is tuition?

Tuition and fees for the 2021-22 academic year for the Biomedicine Graduate Program options are available on the Business Office website.

Is financial aid available?

Federally guaranteed loans are available to qualified individuals. EMU’s financial assistance office offers counseling regarding federal and private loans. A limited number of graduate assistantships are available and will be handled by the financial assistance office and constitute a part of the student’s financial aid package. Full-time students who are residents of Virginia may apply for the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (applications available in financial assistance office; the deadline is July 31). Additional information.

How many students are in the program?

Each class will have approximately 12-15 students. Small classes help to ensure excellent educational experiences and allow faculty opportunities to interact one on one with students as mentors.

When are applications due?

The standing deadline is July 15. Applications are considered on a rolling basis, thus early applicants have some advantage in the process. Applications received after July 15 will be considered if any student openings are still available.

Are GRE/MCAT scores necessary to apply?

(Update: due to the pandemic, our requirement for standardized test scores is on hold until further notice.) Yes, a graduate admissions test such as the GRE or MCAT score is necessary in order to be considered for admission. If you have not taken the GRE or MCAT, we recommend you submit your application now and have your test scores sent as soon as they are available in order to complete your application. We also accept DAT, OAT, VCAT, and other professional school admission test scores.

Are there separate course sections for MS in Biomedicine and MS in Premedicine graduate students?

For many of the natural science courses, graduate lecture periods are integrated with undergraduate students. Separate laboratory sections or additional graduate recitation sections are offered for these courses. Over half of the coursework, though, is open to only graduate students.

What kinds of academic and advising support are provided?

Each student will be assigned an advisor to assist in appropriate course selection that can help the student realize his/her dream of for a career as a future health care professional. In addition, advisors offer counseling in applying to medical or other professional health schools that are best suited for each student. Students who wish to enter directly into the biomedical workforce are assisted in acquiring job practicums and in applying for permanent jobs. 

Do the MS in Biomedicine and MS in Premedicine programs have any articulation agreements with professional health schools (medical, dental, etc.)?

Yes. We have secured articulation agreements with a number of medical and other professional health schools. We are currently in conversations with other professional health schools for similar agreements. Most of these agreements also apply to MS in Premedicine students.

Is a letter from a professor necessary if I have been out of school for several years?

Yes, a letter from a collegiate instructor is necessary. Please contact us if you have questions regarding this requirement.

Is it possible to work while enrolled in the program?

The coursework for full time students is designed to be intense in order to properly prepare students for professional health school. We strongly encourage students to limit their outside commitments, including limiting work to no more than 8–10 hours per week.

What are the housing options?

We are in the process of finalizing graduate housing opportunities for the 2024-2025 school year. As we are working out the details of creating a graduate community, please reach out to your admissions counselor with questions. If you are in need of on campus housing for the Fall 2024-2025 term, please complete the 2024-2025 Graduate Housing Form. For additional information on on-campus Graduate Housing, visit our Living in Harrisonburg page.

Several apartments are also available in the neighborhoods surrounding campus as stand-alone apartments or in homes. Refer to EMU e-classifieds for up-to-date listings.

What are the language requirements for international students?

For applicants whose native language is not English, a score of at least 550 on the paper Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required. A paper-based score of 550 is equivalent to 79-80 on the internet based TOEFL, 213 on the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 7 on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Applicants who have studied and received a degree from a college or university where all instruction is in English are not required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.

Text Here...
visit graphicVisit
apply graphicApply