What would you tell your younger self?

For many of us, the Master’s in Biomedicine program at Eastern Mennonite University serves as an opportunity for personal growth and reflection. Some of us are seeking career changes, some of us are bolstering our experiences and academic portfolios, and some of us are simply looking to expand our knowledge to see where it takes us. For me, I entered this program not only to improve my academic resume, but also to solidify my desire to pursue a professional medical career. This program has helped me navigate my questions and find meaning in my struggles. Although I am now entering the last semesters of my time at EMU, I can excitedly admit that I have even more questions than when I first started here at EMU. Without hesitation, I can say that this is a good thing! I think one of the most interesting parts about learning is that you come to the realization of how much more there is left to explore. Part of the joy that comes with attending EMU is not only the experiences we get from the cultural, internship, and graduate experience, but also the privilege to interact and learn from others who share similar career goals.

Recently, I was able to talk to a few of my classmates about their own unique journeys. We focused on their personal stories and how their time at EMU has matured their perspectives.

Here are the students I interviewed (in alphabetical order):

Kwame Asumadu

Gail Brook Arthur (not pictured)

Alethea Gnanakan

Sitasma Khatri

Claire Reilly

What would you like to tell your younger self?

Kwame: I would tell my younger self to not settle; be a respectful over-achiever. I would tell him to be aware of your resources and utilize them wisely. I would advise my younger self to be proactive in the decision-making processes regarding his future.  I would advise my younger self to be confident, sociable, tech-oriented, goal-oriented, and be wise in how you use and invest your time.  I would advise my younger self not to hold back and to conquer the world.

Alethea: I’d tell my younger self “Hey, kiddo – let’s take it slow. The journey will enrich you.” A wonderful friend of mine once told me that life in medicine is a marathon, not a sprint. I’d tell my bright-eyed and hurried younger self that it’s alright to slow down. I remember desperately hoping to reach my career destination by making the wisest decisions and taking the shortest route possible. I used to look back at my life and feel remorseful because it just felt like time that wasn’t spent in med school was really wasted time, but my perspective has shifted. Life is so much more than the race to your destination. It’s about the journey. The journey often comprises of both hills and valleys. It’s about learning to feel comfortable in the rhythms of life that are often two steps forward and one step back. Perseverance, fortitude, strength – all great character traits. They seem to develop only when you are willing to wait patiently to reach your goal. Be fully present. Invest in relationships. Soak in all of your opportunities. Don’t race ahead.

Gail: I would tell my younger self not too worry so much. Particularly here at EMU, the staff and professors are invested in helping students succeed. Also if it doesn’t matter in five years, it is probably not worth stressing over. I know that is hard to do because I still struggle with trying to not be concerned over grades and, truly, if you focus on the learning, the grades will be fine.

Sitasma: I would have told myself that things only get better – even when prospects seem dreary and grim. Also, there’s a time to chase perfectionism and a time to accept that everything cannot be perfect and you must simply do the best you can. Lastly, I would definitely encourage my younger self to seek out mentorship early. No one ever accomplished his or her goals without some sort of help along the way.

Claire: There will be good and bad things that come out of every situation. Just remember that everything happens for a reason and you can’t let the bad stuff get you down!

Are there any mistakes you made that you don’t regret making?

Kwame: I invested a lot of time playing soccer and thinking I wanted to be a professional soccer player. I definitely would not change anything about that time period. Practice makes perfect. I may not be the best on the field, but if I put in the work, it will pay off.

Alethea: At times being immersed in a pre-med environment where your life is just jam-packed with classes and homework can feel limiting. Often, I’ve felt that I’ve lost myself. All of the hobbies and desires that make me unique were stifled and science took over my entire life. I had to wrestle with the fact that I didn’t have the time to invest in activities that I was excited about. I want my future self to remember that there are seasons for everything. It was important in this season of life to fully invest in my education. The investment you make in your education is long lasting and absolutely valuable. Use the small windows of time that you have to do the things you love.

Gail: There are only a few decisions I have made that I regret – mainly because they may have inadvertently harmed another individual. Most situations involve choices and the decisions I made with the information I had at the time.

Sitasma:  I don’t regret taking some time off to work and volunteer before pursuing graduate school. It was during this time I really realized what my goals and priorities were. I also learned more about life beyond school, homework, and exams – real life things such as how to work collaboratively in a hectic environment and how to address/own up to any mistakes made. Initially, it felt like I was procrastinating in applying to graduate schools, however, in hindsight the extra year allowed me to grow as an adult and human being.

Claire: I wouldn’t consider it a mistake, but when I applied to dental school the summer going into my senior year I had high hopes that I would get in. Applying to dental school and not being accepted humbled me, and I don’t regret trying. Many people told me, “Oh, you’re going to be a great dentist,” or “Don’t worry, you’ll get in,” so I never anticipated failure.

But, now I don’t see it as a failure. As I’ve continued my education, I’m proving to myself that this is what I want, and I know that if I want it badly enough I will get into dental school.

10 years from now, what do you want to make sure your future self never forgets?

Kwame: I want myself to never forget where I came from. I would advise myself to stay grounded in the principles I was raised with because I feel like they have served me well. I tell my future self to always be thankful to God because he is the one who has gotten me this far.

Gail: Ten years from now, I don’t want to forget the friendships I have made and the support I have received from so many people. I want to be competent and applying what I have learned during my time in the program here. Part of this program encourages self-reflection, and I hope to develop those areas that were weak. Another thing I really enjoy about this program is the diversity of the students, and I find that enriching. I also hope to continue to use all of the new technologies that have been introduced in my classes.

Sitasma: I never want to forget all the late night hours, countless readings, inside jokes with friends, networking, and sheer grit it took to reach wherever I will be in 10 years. I want to remind myself that on the days when I felt like I was drowning with assignments and exams, I pushed through and made it out onto the other side. Like I said before, things have a tendency to only get better no matter how stressful they seem at that current moment – just keep going!

Claire: You can do anything you set your mind to.

Is there any other advice you would give to your first-year self? What can I do to maintain a good work-life balance?

Alethea:

• Actively learn how to cook. I mean literally – use any resources available to you. Cookbooks, YouTube, random strangers (it’s fine).
  • Make your own study guides ahead of time & review, review, review.
  • Explore downtown Harrisonburg. There are some beautifully quaint places there.
  • Eat at Magnolia – especially on Taco Tuesday #cantstopwontstop
  • Take the scenic walk from the science center to Rutt House. The one with the bridge. There’s lots of pretty fish in the pond too.
  • At any social gathering with pizza, don’t tear off the crust. You will suffer social suicide.
  • When you pass your classmates in a hallway, ask them meaningful questions. Take care of each other.
  • Ask your peers about study strategies that are working for them. Different classes require different strategies and people can be insightful.

I’d like to thank all my peers for taking time out of their day to tell us about their experiences. I hope you learned just as much as I did! – Allan Peng