Graduate Certificate in Restorative Justice
Are you a criminal justice professional, an educator, religious leader, or a community organizer feeling burnt out and unclear about how to really help individuals and groups that have been involved in harmful encounters? This certificate may be all you need to revitalize your vision and work.
Are you a restorative justice practitioner or an international transitional justice consultant? This certificate will help you reflect on your work and increase your knowledge and skills.
Restorative justice (RJ) practitioners work with those affected by crime, violence and abuse to identify or create outcomes that heal relationships while holding those responsible accountable for the harms that were done.
Why Study with Us?
- Flexible study options for professionals with summer courses, weekend courses and single-day-a-week semester options.
- Graduate courses taken with master's degree students at CJP.
- Connection to our global alumni network of over 600 graduates.
- Faculty mentors who are on the leading edge of research and practice in the field of conflict resolution and conflict transformation
Curriculum (18 SH)
Core Requirements (12 SH)
- PAX 534 Foundations I (6 SH)
- PAX 533 Analysis (3 SH) and PAX 532 Formation for Peacebuilding Practice (3 SH) in SPI
- PAX 571 Restorative Justice – 3 SH
- Practice course – 3 SH
Electives (6 SH)
Electives with advisor approval. Any CJP course can be beneficial depending on the student’s area of interest. Below are some suggested options:
- Online restorative justice courses (when offered)
- Justice in Transition/Building Justice (in SPI)
- Circle Processes (Fall/Spring for 1 credit; SPI for 2-3 SH)
- Organizational development courses (in SPI)
- Community Organizing (in SPI)
- STAR (Fall, Spring or SPI)
- Philosophy & Praxis of Forgiveness & Reconciliation (in SPI)
- Nonviolent Mobilization for Social Change (Spring)
- Mediation & Negotiation (Fall)
- Facilitation (Spring)
- Building Resilience in Body, Mind & Spirit (in SPI)
- MA in Education RJ courses (especially for those wanting to work within educational settings)