Frequently Asked Questions

Is the program available online?

Some individual courses are available online, but the entire degree cannot be completed online. If interested in registering for an individual online course (the course offerings are listed here) but not pursuing a graduate degree, contact Janelle Myers-Benner at for registration information. If interested in pursuing a graduate degree through the low-residency option, check out admissions information here.

Is it possible to complete the degree through a low-residency format?

The Masters degrees are possible to pursue through a low-residency format, which requires several summers attending the Summer Peacebuilding Institute (SPI) and one required spring semester on campus from January – April. Depending on the number of courses a student takes each summer and how many summers attended, this can be completed in as few as 3 years (and students may take up to as many as 6 years, but no more). Both Graduate Certificates can be completed solely during the summers in SPI, or during the academic year, or a combination of both.

To satisfy the core Foundations I required course offered during the fall semester, people who do the low-residency option must take Analysis and Formation for Peacebuilding Practice (Sessions I and II, respectively) during SPI in the same summer and as early in the program as possible, and then take a comprehensive final to “test out” of the fall semester requirement before coming for their spring semester on campus.

What is considered part-time and full-time?

Part-time: 1-8 credit hours (minimum of 5 credit hours is needed to be eligible for federal loans and financial aid). Full-time: 9 credits hours or more (12 credit hours maximum allowed in fall and spring semesters)

When is the application deadline?

February 15th is the deadline for priority admission, though applications are reviewed on a rolling basis after that date as long as there is the room in the program. If an applicant would like to be considered for a CJP scholarship, however, the admissions file and all CJP scholarship applications must be submitted by February 15th. Graduate program admissions information, including the online application and required forms, is available here.

When will I know if I’m admitted?

Those who applied by the February 15th deadline will receive admissions decisions approximately one month later by email. Those who apply on a rolling basis will get a response within 3 weeks after completing the application file.

Are scholarships available?

CJP has several partial scholarships. Click here for more information and to access the application form for each scholarship. Applicants may apply for as many scholarships as are relevant to them. Please note that scholarship applications are due by February 15th and must be accompanied by a completed file for admission. Students who successfully enroll typically have a combination of personal/family funding, a CJP scholarship and/or outside organizational funding.

How much will my education cost?

Tuition and additional fees are outlined here.

Is graduate student housing and transportation available for international students?

Graduate student housing is not available on campus or provided by CJP. However, some apartments (listed here) on or close to campus are managed by EMU and available to graduate students. Several apartments are also available in the neighborhoods surrounding campus as stand-alone apartments or in homes. Refer to EMU e-classifieds for up-to-date listings.

CJP provides a free transportation for international students for their first trip to campus at the start of year one. Complete the International Student Arrival form if interested in this service.

What is the student visa process like for international students?

The Admissions Director oversees this process and works closely with admitted students in need of a visa. In sum, international students will need an F1 student visa in order to study. After being admitted, the student must show full proof of funding and provide biographic information to the CJP Admissions staff, who use that information to issue a form I-20. CJP will mail the I-20 to the student, along with supporting documents, which the student will then need to take to their local U.S. embassy for their visa interview. Family members may also apply for a dependent visa called an F2. This requires proof of funding for all family members for at least one year.

What do your students do after they graduate?

Most of our graduates are mid-career or early career professionals in allied fields such as education, development, non-profit work, community organizing or religious leadership, etc. Those graduates usually return to their former professions and find that they can do their work more effectively and/or they are now eligible for new professional opportunities. Graduates who are earlier in their career development focus on preparing for employment in various aspects of the peacebuilding field in domestic work in criminal/restorative justice, community mediation centers, educational leadership, or international organizations such as the UN, Search for Common Ground, etc. Faculty members and our Peacebuilding Practice Director mentor students to help them design a learning agenda that meets their professional development goals. Our curriculum also has a strong practice focus (including a practicum requirement for the MA degrees) which gives students a head start on networking in the field and employment opportunities.

Visit our alumni website for more information.

Is there a process for CJP alumni to request a recommendation form from faculty or staff?

Yes, please complete the “Letter of Reference Request Form” found at the bottom of the page for current students and send that directly to the person you are requesting a recommendation letter from.

Zehr Institute Webinars


  • Loading...