Cedarwood Residence Hall
Welcome to Cedarwood!
In fall 2011, EMU’s Cedarwood residence hall became the first residence hall building in Virginia to receive LEED certification at the Gold level. Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is one of the highest environmental standards for construction. Cedarwood, which utilizes solar energy, was one of just 33 dorms nationwide to achieve gold at that time.
- a high efficiency mini-split heat pump system as efficient as geothermal without the need for in-ground wells
- a bioretention filtration system that collects water from the roof in a rock bed to mitigate storm water run-off
- a bike shelter with a demonstration green roof
- lobby furniture hand-crafted from cedar trees that grew within a mile of campus
Students who have completed at least one year of their university education qualify to live in Cedarwood.
- houses up to 126 students in pod-style setup
- individual heat/AC control in rooms
- loft/bunk systems
- carpeted rooms
- built-in closet, dresser units
- shades on windows
- pod lounges with TVs/cable/DVD
- computer hook-up and wireless Internet access available
- kitchens in each pod
- laundry facilities on 2nd floor
- printer available main lounge on 1st floor
- deck with access from 2nd floor main lounge
- 36″ × 80″ long mattresses
Types of rooms
Rooms designed for two persons. Students who do not request a roommate will be assigned a roommate unless they have requested and agree to pay the upcharge for a double room as a single.
Rooms designed for three persons.
- Standard room size : 11’ 4″ × 15′ 4" (including closets)
- Triple rooms in pods :13’ 10″ × 17′ 4" (including closets)
- Triple rooms in center on second and third floors: 15’4" x 18’0" (including closets)