MA in Education: Diverse Needs—Teaching English as a Second Language
EMU offers several options for Teaching English as a Second Language
- Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) for MA degree and initial teaching license (in Virginia only)
- Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) for MA degree and add-on endorsement (VA)
- Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) for MA degree and ESL certification (PA)
- Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) for MA in Education degree
- ESL Certification (Pennsylvania only)
This component contains a common core of courses that address language/literacy competence with diverse populations, intervention strategies for diverse learners, and developing leadership skills in teaming, collaboration and consultation with parents, school and community social agencies. In Virginia, initial teaching licensure is available in TESL with additional course work, a supervised practicum, and an internship.
A foundations course in Curriculum & Instruction is required of candidates without a teaching license as an elective prior to taking EDDA 511 Teaching Diverse Learners and EDCC 501 Creating Cultures of Change.
Learn more about the core curriculum of EMU’s master of arts in education.
Diverse Needs: Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)
NOTE: Course requirements may change as the program evolves. Candidates are accountable for completing the program of study listed in the catalog for the year in which they entered the program.