SPI 2021 has ended. Please check back in October for SPI 2022 dates and course selections.
Admission to SPI 2021
May and June 2021 Courses Move Online
The May/June session will be ONLINE again this year and will run May 17 - June 18. We are deeply saddened that we will not gather in person, but we are committed to keeping each other safe until vaccines are available to all.
The deadline to apply for the summer session is May 10, 2021.
Submitting an Application
To apply, click on the green "Apply Now" button on the left side of the page. Participants are admitted on a rolling basis and may be admitted up to one week before the beginning of courses, as space permits.
- Summer Session: Courses will run as a 5-week term from May 17 - June 18, 2021
- Participants will need to be available for ALL synchronous (live teaching) sessions
- $50 application fee. To pay the fee, visit our payments page.
- Professional Development: $795 per course
- Academic Credit: $771 per credit hour
Criteria for Admission
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- A secondary school diploma and at least two years of university or equivalent work experience
- Clearly conceived goals and objectives for applying the learnings of SPI to a specific setting or program and a commitment to join efforts with others working for peace and justice
How It Works
SPI Online courses will meet in real time, live (synchronous) sessions in short blocks of time once or twice weekly.
To participate in SPI Online, you will need (at a minimum):
· A computer or mobile device with a camera, microphone, and speakers
· A headset with microphone is useful (but not required) for this purpose and to cut down on background noise
· A strong enough internet connection to connect to Zoom (click here for Zoom technical specifications)
· The ability to access and download documents from and upload documents to the online learning platform at EMU (Moodle)
· The ability to stream videos posted by faculty members and classmates.
Synchronous Learning: Participants engage in learning simultaneously, often through a live stream web conferencing tool. This could take place as live lectures, interactive group discussions, etc.
Asynchronous Learning: Participants engage in learning via resources (videos, books, articles, etc) on their own time.
My Forms Account
The online application form requires you to create a My Forms account. This allows you to save the application form and finish it later if you are unable to complete it in one sitting. To begin the application process click on the green "Apply Now" button.