Apply to SPI 2022
Welcome to SPI 2022! To submit an application, please click the green "Apply Now" button on the left. Participants are admitted on a rolling basis and may be admitted up to one week before the beginning of courses, as space permits.
Criteria for Admission
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- A secondary school diploma and at least two years of university or equivalent work experience
- Clearly conceived goals and objectives for applying the learnings of SPI to a specific setting or program and a commitment to join efforts with others working for peace and justice
My Forms Account
The online application form requires you to create a My Forms account. This allows you to save the application form and finish it later if you are unable to complete it in one sitting. To begin the application process click on the green "Apply Now" button.
For more information regarding SPI 2022 course sessions, read through the information below.
Spring Sessions: May 16 - June 17 (IN-PERSON)
We are currently planning for the May and June sessions to be IN PERSON this year. However, we will be closely monitoring new variants over the coming months. Please see the note below for further information.
The deadline to apply is May 9, 2022.
Offering 7-day and 5-day courses:
- Session 1: May 16 - 24, 2022
- Session 2: May 26 - June 3, 2022
- Session 3: June 6 - 10, 2022
- Session 4: June 13 - 17, 2022
- A $50 application fee is required. To pay the fee, visit our payments page.
- Professional Development 7-day: $1620 per course
- Professional Development 5-day: $1130 per course
- Academic Credit: $771 per credit hour (2 or 3 credits; only applicable for Summer courses)
COVID Precautions and Decision-Making
As much as we hope to see you in person, we realize that the reality of COVID may force us to change plans. We are in close contact with Eastern Mennonite University's Crisis Management Team, the Virginia Health Department, and the Center for Disease Control. At the moment, we are being told that the omicron variant will wind down long in advance of our May and June courses. If this changes, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Visas and Travel Planning
We recognize that international participants need to apply for visas as soon as possible and we will do what we can to help you by providing letters of acceptance and other paperwork as needed. Unfortunately, if we are forced to go online, we will not be able to reimburse you for any visa-related expenses. We will, however, give international participants a discount equal to the cost of their visa appointment if they take a course online.
For those traveling to Virginia by air, we suggest you do not purchase tickets until closer to the start of the Summer Peacebuilding Institute. Another option is to purchase trip insurance from a reputable insurer that will reimburse you for the airfare if the in-person portion of our programming is canceled.
All participants attending courses in person must show proof of vaccination prior to their arrival at Eastern Mennonite University. Vaccination type must be on the CDC approved list. Booster to all vaccines are also required. If you were unable to get a booster prior to attending, we will help you to secure one while you are in Virginia.