COVID-19 and EMU Learn More >

Frequently Asked Questions

Where will I live?

During the fall and spring semesters, IEP students under age 23 can live in dormitories. They have American roommates, eat all their meals in the dining hall and participate in other campus activities. During the summer, IEP students may choose to live with host families. Throughout the year, older students live in university or private housing near campus. Some students are immigrants who have settled in Harrisonburg.

What will I do when I finish my English course?

After completing IEP, our students enter universities, graduate programs and community colleges in the United States. Immigrant students get better jobs here and some students return to their home countries to pursue a career that makes use of their improved English skills.

Who teaches in IEP?

The IEP staff consists of a director, administrative staff, and teachers with masters degrees in TESOL, applied linguistics, English, or education. Most IEP teachers have international teaching experience.

IEP teachers strive to meet the standards set forth by Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) and follow the best practices in ESL teaching.

Who will help me adjust to life in America?

Micah Shristi, EMU’s director of multicultural and international student services, helps with visas, transportation, holiday options, orientation to EMU and Harrisonburg, health care issues, personal matters, etc. He also arranges friendship families and plans social activities and excursions for all EMU international students.

Where is IEP?

EMU is located in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. The hillside campus safe, quiet, and clean is at the edge of the small city of Harrisonburg. Nearby are historical sites, a ski resort and Shenandoah National Park with its famous Skyline Drive. EMU is two hours by car from Washington, D.C. Find out more about the area…

IEP is a program of Eastern Mennonite University, or EMU, a small Christian liberal arts college dedicated to core Anabaptist and Mennonite values of peacebuilding and service. EMU is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Learn more about EMU…

How do I get to IEP?

If you fly into Dulles International Airport in Washington or Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport, we provide pick-up service for a fee. If you fly into Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport near Harrisonburg, we will pick you up at no extra cost. If arriving on your own, our directions from major highways in Virginia will help you find campus easily.

What will I do when I'm not in my English classes?

Do you enjoy nature, hiking, canoeing, camping, and other outdoor activities? That’s great! Our city, Harrisonburg, was named a top city for outdoors lovers by Backpacker Magazine! Join other IEP students in adventures in the three nearby national park and forests!

If you enjoy history and culture, then we can take you to Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello , local Civil War battlefields , and the majestic monuments and museums of Washington, D.C .

If you would rather stick close to campus, there are many activities at EMU and in Harrisonburg. Concerts, recitals, special lectures, famous authors, sporting events, and art exhibits – you can experience all of these right on our campus. IEP students may participate in EMU’s choirs, orchestra, jazz band, and intramural sports programs.

Where will my English classes be?

The IEP classrooms are located on the ground floor of Roselawn ( see campus map ). You may prepare small meals and refreshments in the kitchen. Videos, computers and other audio-visual equipment are used regularly in instruction and available for student use, as well as high-speed wireless Internet access for those students with laptops.

How can I apply for English courses?

We welcome applications for our regular semester programs (fall, spring and summer) from high school and college graduates. In most cases, you must be at least 18 years old to enter IEP. You’ll find our printable application materials by clicking here or by following the Application Forms link at the left side of this page.

Text Here...
visit graphicVisit
apply graphicApply