STAR Level I Training
STAR is a five-day research-supported trauma awareness and resilience training program facilitated by faculty and staff of EMU’s Center for Justice and Peacebuilding. STAR brings together theory and practices from neurobiology, conflict transformation, human security, spirituality, and restorative justice to address the needs of trauma-impacted individuals and communities. STAR trainings are multi-cultural, multi-faith gatherings in which all are welcomed to use the language of their own cultures and faith traditions. Openness, sensitivity and respect are encouraged.
The training combines lectures with experiential and interactive activities. Learning happens through presentations, physical activity, creative expression, and interaction with other participants.
At the end of the training participants will be able to bring a trauma-informed perspective to their personal and professional lives, present the basic concepts and use the tools with others.
- Trauma overview & definitions—types of trauma
- Effects of trauma—emotional, cognitive, physical, spiritual, behavioral
- Unhealed trauma and cycles of victimhood and violence—acting in and acting out
- Tools and processes for addressing trauma—body, mind, spirit; restorative justice and conflict transformation
- Resilience and self-care—individual and collective
By the end of the training, participants will be able to:
- Bring a trauma and resilience informed perspective to personal and professional life
- Apply the STAR model in their personal and professional life
- Understand trauma’s impact on body, brain and behavior of individuals and groups
- Know processes for breaking cycles of violence (thus preventing further trauma) and building resilience
- Share the basic concepts with others
- The training typically begins at 8:30 a.m. on Monday and ends at 12 p.m. on Friday
- Continuing Education Units (CEU) are available for the training from the EMU Provost’s office. The total cost of CEUs from EMU is $30.*
- Register early to ensure you first choice of dates
- Minimum age of 20
- The training is designed for individuals or organizations working with trauma, violence or conflict-affected populations but admission is open to all
*Cost for this training: $995.00 at EMU-Harrisonburg, Va.
Register online now