Technology - Related Requirements & Policies for EMU & the MSN Program
We are requiring students to bring your laptops on the day of orientation. System requirements for desktop and laptop devices as well as several policies related to technology in the MSN program follows:
Any computer or laptop purchased in the past three years will meet the minimum specs suggested by our IS Department.
Mobile devices such as an iPad or Android tablet are currently not recommended for regular use through the entire online program. They may be used in a pinch (travel, for instance) - but they are not fully supported by EMU’s help desk and do not allow for the uploading of documents to Moodle, our Learning Management System.
- Operating System: Windows 8 or 10; or Mac OS X Version 10.10 (Yosemite). Version 10.12
- Processor: Minimum: Dual-core processor at 2gHz; Recommended: Intel Core i5 or i7, or equivalent.
- RAM: 4 GB or more recommended
- Webcam and one-piece headset with “noise-cancelling microphone (for synchronous class sessions).
- Microsoft Office software:
- MS Office (including MS Word, PowerPoint, & Publisher) preferably Office 2010 or 2013.
- For MAC users, Office 2008 or 2011 are sufficient.
- Office 365 is available for free with an @emu.edu email account. Office 365 is an array of Microsoft Office products accessed and updated online. Sign up at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=391418
- Broadband/high speed Internet access: A corporate office or hospital internet system is sufficient for speed, however firewalls might prevent the student from accessing certain software such as Moodle. Recommended home-based Internet services are DSL or cable (ideal). Satellite or cellular-based services are not recommended especially for videoconferencing. Satellite can work for accessing Moodle and forum discussions.
The EMU Information Systems Department has a help desk to answer questions, problem solve, and assist with both hardware and software questions. Their hours have been extended because of more online programs, the MSN included. The Helpdesk staff are available 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday. You can reach them at email@example.com or visit the HelpZone online resource.