- Complete the DS-11 form available on site.
- Present proof of U.S. citizenship. In many cases, this is a birth certificate. You can obtain copies in the U.S. through the health department or department of vital records in the county where you were born, or request a copy online of your .
- Present proof of identity. A driver’s license is acceptable.
- Provide two identical color passport pictures. See a list of photo services in Harrisonburg.
- Pay the appropriate cost. For adults, this is a total of $145.
See the Dept. of State’s page for passport application forms and more detailed directions. For cross-cultural trips where visas are required, this process needs to begin earlier. Faculty leaders will provide visa instructions when required. The cost of a passport and other related expenses (photos, birth certificate, etc.) are the responsibility of the student.
Already have a passport? Make sure your passport will be valid beyond the duration of your trip. If you need to renew, you will need to send the following items to National Passport Processing:
- your most recent passport
- a completed DS-82 Application form
- two new identical passport photos
- $110 processing fee
- if you were a minor when your current passport was issued, you will need to apply in person
For the form and more complete directions, visit the U.S. Department of State’s page on