COVID-19 and EMU Learn More >



If you are applying for a passport for the first time, you will need to apply in person. The U.S Dept. of State has a Passport Acceptance Facility Search Page. Be prepared to provide the following information and documents:

  • Complete the DS-11 form available on site.
  • Present proof of U.S. citizenship. In many cases, this is a birth certificate. You can obtain copies in the U.S. through the health department or department of vital records in the county where you were born, or request a copy online of your birth certificate.
  • Present proof of identity. A driver’s license is acceptable.
  • Provide two identical color passport pictures. See a list of photo services in Harrisonburg.
  • Pay the appropriate cost. For adults, this is a total of $145.

See the Dept. of State’s Passport page for passport application forms and more detailed directions. For cross-cultural trips where visas are required, this process needs to begin earlier. Faculty leaders will provide visa instructions when required. The cost of a passport and other related expenses (photos, birth certificate, etc.) are the responsibility of the student.

Already have a passport? Make sure your passport will be valid beyond the duration of your trip. If you need to renew, you will need to send the following items to National Passport Processing:

  • your most recent passport
  • a completed DS-82 Application form
  • two new identical passport photos
  • $110 processing fee
  • if you were a minor when your current passport was issued, you will need to apply in person

For the form and more complete directions, visit the U.S. Department of State’s page on passport renewal.

Text Here...
visit graphicVisit
apply graphicApply