COVID-19 and EMU Learn More >

Health Care

Health & Immunization Information

Information on immunizations for upcoming intercultural programs is posted on each program description. Intercultural travelers should be aware that some immunizations cannot be given together and may require four weeks to 6 months between injections, so the process should begin with sufficient time to complete all doses before departure. Students and leader(s) may arrange for immunizations through EMU Health Services or the local health department travel immunization clinic.

Each student must complete the Health History & Emergency Information form. The form includes emergency contacts, health insurance verification & policy number, family doctor, health history including mental health, and a medical permission statement. Students will receive a memo with immunization requirements for their specific program destinations. A copy of these records will accompany the cross-cultural leaders and the originals will be filed at EMU.

All students participating in a cross-cultural seminar outside the U.S. must be covered by an insurance policy with international health and travel coverage during the seminar. The EMU Student Health Plan  with the extra travel policy, or comparable coverage is accepted. The student health plan is purchased through the EMU Business Office. Other insurance carriers are linked below.

EMU is insured by Europ Assistance which operates a twenty-four hour, seven days a week, toll-free emergency assistance service. Europ Assistance provides help in locating the nearest, most appropriate medical care, in making emergency contacts, stolen documents, emergency transfer of funds and many other services in the event of serious travel difficulties. EMU intercultural faculty have access to a list of services and contact phone numbers through the Intercultural Programs Office. This coverage is not a substitute for an individual health plan.

For students traveling within the US and territories or abroad

EMU Intercultural Programs requires all students enrolled in one of our programs to carry current health insurance, with a minimum of coverage for emergency medical care - Accident and Sickness Medical Expense. Students who are traveling also need to carry travel insurance for the period of the seminar dates, to include:
  • Evacuation and repatriation services - Emergency Medical/natural catastrophe/political unrest
  • Trip Interruption or trip cancellation (this usually covers only airfare, not lodging or deposits for tours, etc.)
  • Trip Delay / Per day
    Baggage Delay - Min. 12 hours
  • Property loss - lost or stolen personal property

Some individuals have access to an inexpensive rider through a homeowners/auto policy that allows you to deal with a familiar insurance office. 

Some reputable options available are:

AXA Travel Insurance
United HealthCare Safe Trip
HTH Geoblue Navigator
iTravel Insured

How can I verify international health insurance coverage?

To document current coverage, students provide a copy of the receipt of purchase, insurance card, and/or statement of coverage from the insurance company. 

Text Here...
visit graphicVisit
apply graphicApply