Testing Services for EMU Students & Alumni (and Community CLEP Testers)
If you would like to take a test at EMU Lancaster, please contact Lancaster testing services, 717-397-5190. EMU Career Services ONLY schedules testing for the Harrisonburg,
- EMU offers computer-based testing services for CLEP, DSST, and MAT.
- The ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview by Computer (OPIc) is available to test 10 foreign languages (Arabic, English, French, German, Korean, Mandarin, Pashto, Persian Farsi, Russian and Spanish) and the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) is available to test 34 foreign languages not currently offered by OPIc or CLEP (Spanish, German, French).
- Proctoring services are also available for students taking a web-based or paper-based test from another university.
- All ADCP students must receive test choice approval through Margo McIntire, ADCP Assessment Counselor. IEP students should be at an advanced level 6 prior to taking tests.
- Community members may request testing services. For more information visit our community testing page.
*No one study resource will have exact test questions or prepare you fully for a test – test questions are updated regularly and you are expected to know a semester’s worth of course material vs. just memorizing a set of questions and answers. EMU Career Services does not endorse or recommend a specific study resource or method.
Proctoring Fees may be paid in advance online: Use the or you may bring cash, check (made payable to EMU) or debit/credit card when you take your test. All proctoring fees must be paid prior to or when starting test. EMU student accounts may not be charged for test fees.
If paying the proctoring fee in cash, please bring the exact amount. Career Services does not keep sufficient change in the office.
Please email Career Services to schedule a test time. If you are NOT an EMU student or alumnus, please contact the Academic Support Center for DSST and MAT testing.
Time slots fill quickly and there is less flexibility in the last few weeks of the semester. Schedule your test early, especially if you need the credits to graduate. Education majors should schedule tests prior to student teaching. Students are responsible to see that they wait at least 3 months before requesting to repeat a CLEP or DSST not passed on the first attempt. Test times: CLEP 1.5 hours, DSST 2 hours, MAT 1 hour, OPIc 40 minutes, OPI 20-30 minutes.
Please review the No-Show and Cancellation Policy before scheduling a test. Candidates who arrive more than 5 minutes late for testing will be asked to reschedule.
Available CLEP, DSST, MAT, OPIc & Proctored testing slots are shown below (for EMU students/alumni and community CLEP testers only). Contact Career Services (540-432-4131) to schedule a test. Students must schedule an appointment with Career Services to complete the registration and scheduling process for the OPI phone-based test.
Directions & Contact Information
Additional: The University Commons has a large balcony over main entrance on Park Road. Street number is under balcony and above doors. You may park anywhere in the University Commons parking lot, go in main entrance and up to second floor. An elevator is available near entrance if needed. Proceed through the Student Life suite (adjacent to the indoor track) to the Weaver Wellness Suite.
EMU offers 3 credit hours for all passed tests except foreign language tests in which additional credit is offered based on score:
- All students who achieve a score of “Intermediate Low” or higher on the ACTFL OPIc or OPI will satisfy their foreign language Core Curriculum requirement.
- Students who score “Intermediate Mid” or higher on the OPIc or OPI will earn 6 SH credit. Students who score “Intermediate Mid” will receive 6 SH elementary credit. Students who score “Intermediate High” or above will receive 6 SH intermediate credit.
- Students who pass the CLEP will receive 6 SH of either elementary or intermediate credit according to their scores and will satisfy their foreign language Core Curriculum requirement.
Credit will not be awarded if a student has had a previous college course (credit or audit) with similar content. If uncertain, check with the Registrar’s Office. At this time, credit will not be awarded at EMU for OPI tests taken in English.
CLEP/DSST credit may satisfy a requirement in an EMU major or minor only by departmental approval (except pre-approved ). All course substitutions need to be pre-approved by the respective Department Chair – utilize .
A maximum of 30 credits earned through testing may be applied toward a degree. This includes credit earned by exam, CLEP/DSST/OPI, Advanced Placement (AP), and any other testing program the university chooses to recognize. Individual programs may have more specific criteria. An exception to the maximum will apply for up to 36 nursing credits earned by testing through Excelsior College, Albany, NY. Students in the traditional undergraduate program may apply testing credit toward EMU Core requirements in two areas only: writing (AP) and foreign language (AP, CLEP and OPI). Students in the Adult Degree Completion Program may use approved testing options to meet EMU Core requirements where appropriate equivalents have been identified.
Recommendations from the American Council of Education (ACE) are used to determine a passing score on each exam. Tests are recorded on the EMU transcript with a “pass” grade if the appropriate score is reached. Nothing is recorded on the transcript if a passing score is not received.