Creation Care Council
EMU’s Creation Care Council grew out of a faculty, staff and student initiative to consider how the campus pulls together its theology of care for the earth with practical every-day decisions made across campus. The Council, which developed EMU’s official sustainability principles, coordinates with other groups to develop concrete steps and long-term plans for creation care on EMU’s campus. The Council also serves as a visionary body directly involved in long-term sustainability planning for the University.
The EMU President will appoint a Vice President from President’s Cabinet and SGA will appoint a student senator to serve as representative. The remaining members should consist of one staff person each from Physical Plant and Marketing and Communications, a student chosen by Earthkeepers who ideally is also involved with Sustainable Foods Initiative (SFI), three additional faculty appointed by the Provost’s office representing a wide variety of academic departments, two additional staff members-at-large, and the EMU sustainability coordinator. An additional at-large member from among graduate students is optional.
Terms for members are two years except for appointed members of Cabinet and SGA and the sustainability coordinator who is a permanent member of the committee.
Current Committee Members (alphabetical by last name)
- Daryl Bert (Vice President for Finance)
- Kate Clark (Instructor, Nursing Dept.)
- Cyndi Gusler (Professor, Visual & Communication Arts Dept.)
- Cheree Hammond (Assistant Professor, MA in Counseling)
- Nate Koser, (Assistant Professor, MA in Counseling)
- Eldon Kurtz (Physical Plant Director)
- Jonathan Lantz-Trissel (Sustainability Coordinator)
- Jim Leaman (Dept. Chair, Assoc. Professor, MBA)
- Nathan Musselman (CCC Chair, Program Associate, Summer Peacebuilding Institute)
- Melinda Norris (Earthkeepers Rep.)
- Greg Sachs (Building Automation Coord.)
- Eric Trinka (Graduate School Rep.)
- Jim Yoder (Professor, Biology Dept.)
Questions? Ideas? Let us know! Use the CCC contact form and get in touch.