Creation Care Council
EMU’s Creation Care Council grew out of a faculty, staff and student initiative to consider how the campus pulls together its theology of care for the earth with practical every-day decisions made across campus. The Council, which developed EMU’s official sustainability principles, coordinates with other groups to develop concrete steps and long-term plans for creation care on EMU’s campus. The Council also serves as a visionary body directly involved in long-term sustainability planning for the University.
The EMU President will appoint a Vice President from President’s Cabinet and SGA will appoint a student senator to serve as representative. The remaining members should consist of one staff person each from Physical Plant and Marketing and Communications, a student chosen by Earthkeepers who ideally is also involved with Sustainable Foods Initiative (SFI), three additional faculty appointed by the Provost’s office representing a wide variety of academic departments, two additional staff members-at-large, and the EMU sustainability coordinator. An additional at-large member from among graduate students is optional.
Terms for members are two years except for appointed members of Cabinet and SGA and the sustainability coordinator who is a permanent member of the committee.
Current Committee Members (alphabetical by last name)
- Daryl Bert (Vice President for Finance)
- Tyler Goss (Hillside Resident Director)
- Cyndi Gusler (Professor, Visual & Communication Arts Dept.)
- Liana Hershey (Earthkeepers Rep.)
- Harrison Horst (Earthkeepers Rep.)
- Ed Lehman (Physical Plant Director)
- Jonathan Lantz-Trissel (Sustainability Director)
- Jim Leaman (Dept. Chair, Assoc. Professor, MBA)
- Jonathan McRay (Gardener and Facilitator, CJP)
- Daniel Moyer (SGA Rep.)
- Greg Sachs (CCC Chair, Building Automation Coordinator)
- Valerie Showalter (Seminary Graduate Student Rep.)
- Micah Shristi (IEP Lecturer, Intensive English Program)
- Carol Snell-Feikema (Instructor, Language & Literature Dept.)
- Heidi Winters Vogel (Associate Professor, Theater Dept.)
- Paul Yoder (Assistant Professor, Education Dept.)