STAR Level 1
Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience (STAR)
Registration for this event is now closed.
STAR Level I Training
STAR is a five-day research-supported trauma awareness and resilience training program facilitated by EMU's Center for Justice and Peacebuilding. STAR brings together theory and practices from neurobiology, conflict transformation, human security, spirituality, and restorative justice to address the needs of trauma-impacted individuals and communities. STAR trainings are multi-cultural, multi-faith gatherings in which all are welcomed to use the language of their own cultures and faith traditions. Openness, sensitivity and respect are encouraged.
The training combines lectures with experiential and interactive activities. Learning happens through presentations, physical activity, creative expression, and interaction with other participants.
At the end of the training participants will be able to bring a trauma-informed perspective to their personal and professional lives, present the basic concepts and use the tools with others.
Dates: March 5-9, 2018
Location: EMU at Lancaster located in the Greenfield Corporate Center, 1846 Charter Lane Lancaster, PA 17601
Time: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Thursday (with a break for lunch) and ends on Friday at 1:00 pm
Cost: $995 (If your employer will cover the cost of your training, complete the registration application. Further instructions regarding payment will be sent to you via email). Meals, lodging, and transportation are the responsibility of the participant. Scholarships are available and can be sought through the regular application.
Registration deadline: Friday, March 2, 2018
Continuing Education Units (CEU's)
- PAX540 - 2 credits = 60 hours of Act 48
- 32 contact hours of continuing education for Registered Nurses.
- 30 hours for APA CE Credits for Psychologists, Social Workers and Counselors
This program is sponsored by WellSpan Philhaven, an approved sponsor for Continuing Education
Credits by the American Psychological Association for psychologists. WellSpan Philhaven is
approved by the American Psychologist Association to sponsor continuing education credits for
psychologists. WellSpan Philhaven maintains responsibility for the program and its contents.
Please note: Participants must attend the entire session and complete an evaluation form in order to receive a Certificate of Completion.
- Trauma overview & definitions--types of trauma
- Effects of trauma--emotional, cognitive, physical, spiritual, behavioral
- Unhealed trauma and cycles of victimhood and violence--acting in and acting out
- Tools and processes for address trauma--body, mind, spirit; restorative justice and conflict transformation
- Resilience and self-care--individual and collective
By the end of the training, participants will be able to:
- Bring a trauma and resilience informed perspective to personal and professional life
- Apply the STAR model in their personal and professional life
- Understand trauma's impact on body, brain and behavior of individuals and groups
- Know processes for breaking cycles of violence (thus preventing further trauma) and building resilience
- Share the basic concepts with others