SE Balkans – Fall 2014
Bridging the Christian / Muslim Divide
Goals of the seminar…
• To understand Christian-Muslim relations in a Balkan context
• To comprehend our North American cultural assumptions through dialogue with marginalized peoples in the Balkans
• To better appreciate multiple meanings and ethnical perspectives through deep listening
• Home-stay in a Pomak (Bulgarian Muslim) village
• Meteora (Greece). Site of an Orthodox monastery built into tower-like rock formations.
• Rila Monastery (Bulgaria). The holiest Orthodox Christian site in the country, tucked away in the Rila Mountains
• Plovdiv (Bulgaria). Center of the 19th Century Bulgarian Renaissance and cultural capital of Bulgaria, with a prominent mosque and architecturally fascinating Old Town.
• Istanbul (Turkey). Former capital of the Ottoman Empire, and site of Hagia Sofia (Orthodox Church converted to a mosque) and the spectacular Süleymaniye Mosque.
Estimated Cost: on campus tuition, room and board plus $1,500 travel fee (cost may be adjusted due to changes in currency exchange rates and air fares)
Semester Leaders: Andrew White, Language & Literature, and Daria White, Bulgarian native and Ph.D. Counseling candidate at JMU
Enrollment: 22 students
Credits: 15 semester hours
CCSSC 201, Cross-Cultural Social Science: SE Balkans (3 SH)
Students will study culture in its context by interacting with host families and peer groups, learning skills of adaptation and empathy.
CCLNG 110, Bulgarian Language (3 SH) Students will have the opportunity to study this lesser-known Slavic language, along with
the Cyrillic alphabet, and put it into practice.
CCHIS 310, History and Culture in the Balkans (3 SH)
Emphasis will be placed on the Ottoman period and Communist era.
CCLIT 301, Balkan Literature and Narrative (3 SH)
Imaginative texts – legends, memoirs, reflective essays, poetry,
short stories, and novels – will help students to better understand
and relate to the complexities of the region.
CCREL 310, Religion and Identity in the Balkans (CIW, 3 SH)
Particular focus will be put on the interaction between Islam and
Christianity in the Balkans.
- Routine – MMR, DPT series with last booster within 10 years, IPV or OPV, Hep B
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- NEW UPDATE 8/11/14: Polio booster within last 10 years
Immunizations and prescriptions may be obtained at EMU Health Services by appointment.
Immunizations may also be obtained from your local health department or primary care provider.