ACE Festival Oral Presentation Guidelines
Read these guidelines and adhere to them carefully! Planning ahead will not only enhance your own presentation, but will facilitate a rewarding experience for other presenters and for those attending your session.
Plan carefully, be on time, and be prepared!
Unless you are notified otherwise, each presentation is limited to no more than 15 minutes in length. The time limit must be strictly observed. Presentations that exceed the limit will be ended; other presenters’ times will not be cut short. To maximize your available time without exceeding the limit, practice in advance is recommended.
Presenters should arrive at their assigned venue at least 10 minutes prior to the beginning of the session, and are required to stay for the entire session. Presenters who do not arrive on time will not be re-scheduled.
Feel free to bring your own water bottle (in a closed container) if you will need a drink before or during your presentation.
Think smart about technology and sound
The use of a presentation software such as PowerPoint is customary in oral presentations. Venues are equipped with computers and projection equipment. If you plan to use projection, please observe the following guidelines:
- The presentation software available will be Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Students are responsible to bring PowerPoint slides on their own flash drive. Do not bring a laptop.
- Arrive early to allow time for your presentation to be loaded onto the computer.
- Keep your technology simple! Presentations will be on a tight schedule, and opportunity for testing technology ahead of time may not be available. Therefore, the use of any additional sound or video features must be limited to what can be stored on the flash drive and accessed without logging in to any student-specific account.
Not all venues will have a sound system, but a podium microphone will be used in larger spaces. You may wish to stop by the venue sometime prior to the festival, to familiarize yourself with the space.
Consider principles of effective speech
The following strategies of effective speech communication will increase the ability of your audience to connect with your ideas:
- Use an expressive and conversational style.
- Be aware of and responsive to your audience.
- Organize your material in a coherent and engaging manner.
- Note the sources that have informed your presentation.
- Engage deeply with your theme/topic, and invite the audience to engage with you.