Visual & Performing Arts
Our options are not limited to the internships listed below. Organizations listed
reflect sites where WCSC has recently placed students or those that have been identified
as potential internships. Please feel free to do your own research and do not hesitate
to contact WCSC for further opportunities.
- For graphic design and photography opportunities, see listings under “Communications,
Digital Media & Journalism”
- For additional education programs with arts components, see listings under "Education
Arts Administration & Programming
- Sitar Arts Center – after-school program for underserved children and youth in a diverse community.
The Center partners with local volunteer artists and arts organizations to provide
comprehensive arts education, nurturing relationships and high expectations that enable
young people to better know and express themselves as they discover and develop their
- Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery – nationally known art museum with a focus on portraying the people who shape the
nation's history, development, and culture.
- Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage – produces the annual Folklife Festival on the National Mall.
- Interns work with event planning and preparation, social media, and cultural education
- Washington Performing Arts Society – creates shows and performs at various DC art venues.
- District of Columbia Arts Center – small theater and gallery aimed at supporting and promoting less established artists.
- Touchstone Gallery – artist-owned and operated gallery of 30 active members with rotating exhibitions.
- Washington Revels – celebrates music, dance, drama, storytelling, and other cultural traditions from
around the world through performances, workshops, and audience participation.
- Duke Ellington School – Performing arts focused DC public high school.
- Filmfest DC – DC’s premiere film festival. Assist with events, planning and marketing of this
major DC arts event.
- Dance Place – performances and dance classes for people of all ages in various styles.
- Kirov Academy of Ballet – dance classes and academic year-round school for competitive ballet dancers.
- Keegan Theatre – local theater that produces a mix of classics, musicals, and new works, including world
- Gala Hispanic Theatre – local theater promoting and sharing Latino arts and cultures with a diverse audience.
- *Spanish Language Opportunity
- Mosaic Theater – a new theater company that produces independent, inter-cultural, and socially relevant
- Washington Improv Theater – dynamic, innovative and unpredictable shows presented by experienced and talented
performers in the city.
- Folger Shakespeare Library Theatre – the vibrant centerpiece of the Folger Shakespeare Library, producing plays reflecting
the breadth of the library’s peerless collection.
- Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company – produces original and innovative shows and works to break down traditional social
- Young Playwrights’ Theater – special programs and playwriting workshops working with youth to tell their stories.
- Sitar Arts Center – see description above.
- Past interns have given instrument or voice lessons, assisted with music projects
(including music recording, practice with the rock and roll band, or theater performances),
assisted with grant writing, and/or day-to-day management.
- The Levine School of Music – music school with opportunities for a wide variety of instruments and ensembles
across the DC area.