Transfer Information

According to the DHS (Department of homeland Security), ‘transferring’ schools refers to a student begins studies at one school but finishes studies at another school, and a student who has completed a program or degree at one school and then begins a new program or degree at another. This includes transfers from high school to college, and bachelors to masters. Provided the student has maintained valid F-1/J-1 status.

Students Transferring Into EMU

Congratulations on your application or admission to EMU! We are happy that you want to continue your U.S. education with us. This information is provided to help you maintain your F-1 or J-1 status.

The Department of Homeland Security requires that F-1 and J-1 students and exchange visitors complete a school transfer when changing to a new school.

What you have to do before you come to campus:

  • Notify your international student adviser at your current school of your intention to transfer to EMU.
  • Schedule a “release date” with your current international student adviser for your F-1 or J-1 record to be transferred to EMU. Your EMU Form I-20/DS-2019 cannot be issued until after this release date has been reached.
  • Complete the Transfer-In Form and submit it to the International Student Services office as soon as possible.
    IMPORTANT : If you are completing (or have completed) your program of study or Optional Practical Training, you only have a 60-day period, following this completion to have your record F-1 record transferred to us. Your F-1 student status ends 60 days after you complete your program of study or OPT!h3. What you need to do after you arrive on campus:
  • Attend Orientation. You are required to attend.
  • See your academic advisor to select your classes.
  • Report to the International Student Services office immediately! Bring the following documents to be photocopied:
    • Passport
    • Visas
    • Form I-94 Departure record
    • EMU’s Form I-20/DS-2019
    • I-20/DS-2019 forms from all other schools you have attended in the U.S.

TIP: Protect your Legal documents. Make photocopies of them. Never destroy any I-20. Keep them in a safe place.

Students Transferring Out of EMU

If you wish to transfer out of EMU to another school, you must notify the international student service office. The following steps will assist you in the process:

  • Once you have been accepted by another school, ask what is necessary for the transfer process
  • When you have decided which school you will transfer to, complete EMU’s Transfer Out form.
  • Schedule a meeting with the International Student Service Office to create a “release date” from EMU in SEVIS, to the transferring school.
  • Notify your new schools International Office of the release date, so they can issue you a new I-20 or DS-2019
Text Here...
visit graphicVisit
apply graphicApply