SEVIS and Reporting Requirements
The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System is a web-based system for maintaining information on international students and exchange visitors in the United States. SEVIS is administered by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), a division of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the largest investigative arm of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
EMU uses SEVIS to issue I-20s and DS-2019s to assist in the visa process and maintain information on international students and exchange visitors during their stay in the US.
Upon arrival at EMU, you are required to submit a copy of your visa, passport, and I-20 or DS-2019 to the International Student Services Office. You will also need to complete a few forms before you are registered in SEVIS.
EMU is required by law to report certain information in SEVIS for all student and exchange visitors. The following information needs to be reported to SEVIS by the International Student Services Office:
- Date of Enrollment
- Starting date of classes
- When a student drops below full-time without prior authorization
- When a student fails to maintain status or complete the program
- Disciplinary action taken by the school as a the result of a criminal act
- Date of graduation
- Change in name, address or curriculum (includes major)
- Date and port of entry into the US
- Degree program and field of study
- Failure to enroll or commence participation
- Date and reason of termination
Failure to inform the ISS Office of developments and changes in these areas may result in loss of status