Print Header Logo

Student Life

Business Office Procedures

Student Organization Manual 
A Resource and Policy Guide for the New and Existing Student Organizations of
Eastern Mennonite University

The following forms may be necessary if you plan on using the money your student organization was allotted. All student organization financial transactions are handled through the Business Office. Any questions concerning the use of these forms should be directed to the Director of Student Programs or the Business Office. All forms are available in the Business Office and online through the portal. Students may need to request the student group advisor to access the forms online. Please contact the Business Office at any time with questions.

Approval levels 
It is highly unlikely that a student group would purchase above the $3000 level as noted below. All student payments or reimbursements must have at a minimum approval from the group faculty/staff advisor.

Non Capital Expenditures

Expenditures Amount – Approval Required 
$0—3,000 – Faculty/staff advisor to student group and student group official
$3,001—10,000 – Faculty/staff advisor and VP for Student Life 
$10,001 – 25,499 – Above plus VP for Finance
$25,000 and over – Above plus President

Petty Cash 
Expenditures $50.00 and under that are chargeable to EMU may be submitted to the Business Office cashier for reimbursement. The form should indicate the amount, description, and account number and date. Receipts should be attached and approved by the advisor.

Cash Transmittal 
All cash and checks received in your organization should be forwarded to the cashier with a completed cash transmittal sheet promptly. The form is available in half or full sheet sizes in the business office or online through

Please complete transmittals as follows:

1. List checks (name and address) separately or photocopy checks. 
2. List cash. 
3. Include correct account number for each amount listed. 
4. Give a concise informative description for each amount listed. 
5. Make sure total of checks and cash equal total of transmittal.

Request for Payment 
Expenditures by EMU check, which are not supported by a vendor’s invoice, are requested by submitting a request for payment form (see below). NOTE: An expense report is used to request reimbursement.

The name and address should be indicated in its entirety. Descriptions should be thorough and due dates should be indicated. Checks are issued every Friday so forms are due in the Business Office by noon on the previous Tuesday for payment on Friday. Routing instructions are very important so that the office knows what to do with the check. Approval signatures are needed from the appropriate department chair or faculty/staff advisor, depending on amount.. EMU is exempt from state sales tax; therefore state sales tax will not be reimbursed. Copies of our tax-exempt certificate are available in the Business Office or online through the portal. Payments to individuals for services performed must be accompanied by a completed W-9 unless there is already one on file in the Business Office.

Vendor Invoices 
All vendors are instructed to send invoices to the attention of Accounts Payable. We will rubber stamp the invoices and send them to the proper office for account number and approval.

Fill in the account number(s) you wish to charge the purchase to, and put your initials in the ‘Rec’d’ box, showing your approval. If there is more than one account number being charged, show the amount for each account number. The remaining boxes will be filled in at the Accounting Office. Again, invoices must be approved at a minimum by the faculty/staff advisor.

If there is an original invoice from a company, your initials and account number on the invoice are all that is needed. (“Request for Payment” forms are NOT used when there is an invoice.)

When charges are made at Red Front Supermarket, Mr. J’s Bagels or other vendors where you receive a receipt please put the correct account number and approval signature on the receipt and turn it into the Accounting Office. To charge at Wal-Mart, the EMU charge card must be presented,.

Using Allocated Money

Purchase Orders 
Purchase Orders are required for any order over $3000. Purchase Order numbers are assigned by the Accounting Clerk either by phone request or as completed Purchase Orders come through the Accounting Office. This form should be completed thoroughly, accurately and legibly since it is the original order mailed to the vendor. All Purchase Orders must be approved by the Advisor and the appropriate faculty/staff advisor, depending on amount. Be sure to check the appropriate boxes indicating that the order has or has not been phoned/faxed in and if the Accounting Clerk will need to send the vendor a copy of the Purchase Order. Please note that any time a PO number is assigned, a Purchase Order form must be filled out and returned to the Accounting Office.

The receiving (yellow) copy will be returned to the person or department expecting the delivery of the merchandise or service. Upon receipt of merchandise or service, the “rec’d” column should be completed by indicating the date received and who received it in the “mdse received by” space at the bottom. The receiving copy should be forwarded to the Accounting Clerk for matching the vendor’s invoice. (Partial deliveries will require photocopies of the receiving copy.) All purchase orders must have current prices. When invoice prices do not agree with purchase order prices, the invoice will not be processed until the difference has been resolved.

Expense Reports 
Expense report forms are used to request reimbursement for expenditures or travel. Expense reports should be used to report expenses incurred during a calendar week. Separate expense reports should be submitted for separate weeks of travel. Expense reports should be submitted in a timely manner upon completion of trip. Completed expense reports should be submitted to the Business Office by noon on Tuesday in order to receive a check the following Friday. Receipts for any expense greater than $25 must be submitted with the expense report.