Committee on Diversity and Inclusion Mission
The Committee on Diversity and Inclusion (CODI) works to develop and sustain a diverse community of learners that promotes a sense of belonging, collaboration, and partnerships across campus. CODI is responsible for promoting, facilitating, and monitoring diversity and equity opportunities at Eastern Mennonite University. The committee's work supports pedagogy, policies and practices that foster equal access and fairness to our community members, works to develop a campus culture that listens to and learns from counter-narratives, and strengthens EMU's commitment to prepare students, faculty, and staff to think, serve, and lead in a global context. The charge is to:
- Advise and make recommendations to the vice president for DEI on all issues relating to DEI and inclusive excellence on campus.
- Seek alignment between EMU’s and various units’ priorities in diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging consistent with EMU’s Strategic Plan.
- Serve as agents of change across EMU for progress and education in DEI through proposing policies and supporting practices that foster respect, equity, restorative justice, and dignity for every person. The term ‘agent of change’ includes but is not limited to activities such as: building alliances across different affinity groups and social identities; exploring differences and similarities in a safe space; identifying DEI gaps; educating our community on how they can work together to eradicate all barriers to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Promote DEI opportunities at EMU by supporting and/or planning ongoing activities related to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
Committee on Diversity and Inclusion Members
- Ben Bergey, Faculty, Music Professor
- Daniel Showalter, Faculty, Associate Professor of Mathematics
- Dawn Neil, Staff, Coordinator, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Deanna Durham, Faculty, Applied Social Sciences
- Jackie Font-Guzmán, Staff, Vice President, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Jen Jones, Staff, Administrative Assistant, School of Social Sciences and Professions
- Lindsay Martin, Staff, CJP Advancement Director
- Luke Litwiller, Staff, Director of Undergraudate Admissions & Recruitment
- Micah Shristi, Staff, Student Life, Director of International Student Services
- Mikaela Brooks, Staff, Athletics, Womens Lacrosse Coach
- Stephanie Mason, Staff, Human Resources Benefits & Employment Specialist
- Trina Trotter Nussbaum, Staff, Associate Director - CIE
- Tynisha Willingham, Staff, Provost
- Venissa White, Staff, Student Life, Project Director
- Amanda Gilbert, Student, Black Student Alliance
- Hannah Beck, Student, Student Government Association
- Seojin Hyun, Student, Asian Pacific Islander Student Alliance
- Tyler Williams, Student, Queer Student Alliance
- TBA, Student, Latin Student Alliance
- TBA, Graduate Student, Graduate Student Represenative