Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at EMU
Our diverse community welcomes people from varied faith traditions, cultures and ethnic
- More than 50 faith traditions are represented on campus.
- More than 50 countries are represented in our student body.
- AHANA (Americans of African, Hispanic, Asian and Native American descent) students make up 24% of our undergraduate student body
Resources for students
- The multicultural student services office nurtures a vibrant network of activities and clubs for students from diverse backgrounds.
- The international student services office office provides a safe, friendly connection as students transition to a new culture and country and helps with details such as paperwork.
- Our committee on diversity and inclusion reviews policy and creates programming to make EMU feel like “home” for all.
- Our strategic plan includes a commitment to diversify our faculty and staff to better represent our student body.
Students are encouraged to engage issues of diversity in course work. In fall 2017, students in Professor Melody Pannell's Race and Gender class wrote "This I believe" statements about inclusion and diversity. See a sample of these quotes and listen to "Caged Bird" written by Maleke “Meechy Jay” Jones as an assignment for the class.
Committee on Diversity and Inclusion Newsletters
Resources from EMU's Student Government Association