Greta Ann Herin
Office Phone: (540) 432-4414
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: SH 206
Office Hours: Consult syllabi and by appointment.
She has taught a wide variety of courses in general Biology, the MA in Biomedicine, and General Education: Advanced Human Anatomy; Faith, Science and Ethics; Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II; Neuropsychology; Advanced Neurobiology (undergraduate and master’s); Mammalian Physiology; Molecules, Genes, and Cells; Biological Explorations; and a Senior Seminar “The Elephant and the Rider”. She has also co-taught Concepts in Biology; a Senior Seminar “Form, Finitude and Faith”; a Senior Seminar “Origins”; and a Colloquium “Passion and Obsession”.
Greta Ann serves as a Pre-professional Health Sciences advisor.
She has dual Bachelors Degrees in Biochemistry and Psychology from Kansas State University and a Ph.D. in Neurobiology from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Her dissertation was on interactions among modulators of NMDA receptors, an important glutamate receptor in the brain. In addition Dr. Herin did a post-doctoral fellowship at the Max-Planck Institute for Brain Research in Frankfurt, Germany. There she studied metabotropic glutamate receptors.
Doctor of Philosophy
Program in Neurobiology (2003)
Department of Neurobiology
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
Dissertation Advisor: Elias Aizenman, Ph.D.
Bachelors of Sciences
Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
- Evans R.C., Herin G.A., Hawes S.L., Blackwell K.T. (2015) Calcium dependent inactivation of calcium channels in the medial striatum increases at eye opening. Journal of Neurophysiology Apr;113(7):2979-86.
- Caldwell, J.H+., Herin, G.A+., Nagel, G., Bamberg, E., Scheschonka, A., Betz, H. (2008).
Increases in intracellular calcium triggered by channelrhodopsin-2 potentiate the response of metabotropic glutamate receptor mGluR7.
J Biol Chem. Sep 5;283(36):24300-7.
+ co-first authors
- Zhang C.S., Bertaso F., Eulenburg V., Lerner-Natoli M., Herin G.A., Bauer L., Bockaert J., Fagni L., Betz H., Scheschonka A. (2008)
Knock-in mice lacking the PDZ-ligand motif of mGluR7a show impaired PKC-dependent autoinhibition of glutamate release, spatial working memory deficits, and increased susceptibility to pentylenetetrazol.
J Neurosci. 2008 Aug 20;28(34):8604-14.
- Mead, K., Dearworth, J., Grisham, W., Herin, G.A., Jarrad, H., Paul, C.A., Waldeck, R., Yates, J., Young, J. (2007)
IFEL Tour: A description of the Introduction to FUN Electrophysiology Labs Workshop at Bowdon College July 27-30.
Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience.
- Herin, G.A. and Aizenman, E. (2004)
Amino terminal domain regulation of NMDA receptor function.
European Journal of Pharmacology 500(1-3): 101-11. Invited Review.
- Lu, Y., Epstein, P., Li, Y., Herin, G.A., Aizenman, E., and Rosenberg, P. (2004)
Elevation of intracellular cAMP evokes activity-dependent release of adenosine in cultured rat forebrain neurons.
European Journal of Neuroscience 19(10): 2669-81.
- Legos J.J., McLaughlin, B., Skaper, S.D., Strijbos, P.J.M.L., Parsons, A.A., Aizenman, E., Barone, F.C., Herin, G.A., Erhardt, J.A. (2001)
The selective p38 inhibitor SKB-239063 protects primary neurons from mild to moderate excitotoxic injury.
European Journal of Pharmacology 447(1): 37-42.
- Herin, G.A., Du, S., and Aizenman, E. (2001)
The neuroprotective agent ebselen modifies the NMDA receptor via the redox modulatory site.
Journal of Neurochemistry 78(6): 1307-1314.
- Aizenman, E.A., Sinor, J.D., Brimecombe, J.C., Herin, G.A. (2000)
Alterations of N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor properties after chemical ischemia.
Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics 295(2): 572-577.
- Herin, G.A. (2003) Studies on Role of the N-terminal Domain of NR1 in the Redox Modulation of NR2A-Containing NMDA Receptors. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of Pittsburgh ETD
- Herin G.A. (2014) The role of calcium in neurophysiology as a signal and a feedback inhibitor: two cases. Keynote Speaker, Western Pennsylvania Undergraduate Psychology Conference.
- Herin, G.A., Hannum, C.D., Vecchiarelli, H.A., Smucker, J. (2011) Metabotropic glutamate receptor 7a is inhibited by lead (Pb2+) in a concentration-dependent manner in Xenopus oocytes. Society for Neuroscience Meeting.
- Herin, G.A. (2009) Modulation of Metabotropic Glutamate Receptor 7a in Xenopus Oocytes: Potentiation by Intracellular Calcium and Inhibition by Lead Chloride. Invited Speaker, Krasnow Institute for Advanced Studies, George Mason University
- Herin G.A., Caldwell III, J.H., Scheschonka, A., Betz, H. (2006) Intracellular calcium modulates beta-gamma signaling of the metabotropic glutamate receptor 7. Federation for European Neuroscience Meeting.
- Herin, G.A., Zheng, F., Le, P., and Aizenman, E. (2002) Evidence for an interaction between N-terminal redox sensitive cysteines and a polyamine modulatory site of the NR1/NR2A NMDA receptor. Society for Neuroscience Meeting.
- Herin, G.A., Sinor, J.D., and Aizenman, E. (2001) Spermine inhibits DTT potentiation of responses mediated by cysteine mutant recombinant NMDA receptors. Society for Neuroscience Meeting.
- Herin, G.A. and Aizenman, E. (2000) Ebselen oxidizes the NMDA receptor: A novel mechanism for neuroprotection. Society for Neuroscience Meeting.
Board of Trustees, Crossroads to Brain Injury Recovery (2010-current)
Harrisonburg Citizen’s Academy (2007)
Faculty Scholarship Summer Teaching Award (2015)
Faculty Scholarship Summer Research Award (2007, 2008, 2012)
Scottish Rite Schizophrenia Research Fellowship (2002-2003)
Member Society for Neuroscience (1998-2004, 2007-current)
Member Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience (2006-current)
Member Human Anatomy and Physiology Society (2008-current)
Society for Neuroscience International Meeting
Senior Seminar; The Elephant and the Rider (2015)
Preprofessional Health Sciences Committtee (2007- 2013, 2015)
Faculty Scholarship Committee (2008-2012)
Faculty Senate (2011- 2013, 2015-)