Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership and Social Entrepreneurship
This graduate certificate is an interdisciplinary, collaborative effort between the Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Center for Justice and Peacebuilding (CJP) programs.
Graduates will be prepared to organize, create, and manage organizations, or programs and projects, working to inspire and lead social change for the common good.
The certificate is 15 semester hours, which is typically five 3-credit hour courses; these are selected in consultation with the certificate advisor to meet each student’s interests or specific needs, and to form a cohesive package that equips leaders to effectively manage and lead nonprofit and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Students wishing to earn both an MBA degree, and the Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership, must complete a minimum of 39 semester hours in a curriculum planned together with their advisor.
What Students Say About This Certificate
“The graduate certificate in nonprofit leadership was a wonderful way to integrate my experiences in grassroots peacebuilding and organizational leadership. This interdisciplinary and collaborative program welcomed critical reflection and experiential learning alongside professional colleagues. My ability to obtain this certificate as part of the MA in Conflict Transformation was encouraged, vocationally practical and speaks to EMU’s shared philosophy of applied leadership for the common good. I have been able to apply my learning in both a local and global context with new skills, new colleagues and new understanding.”
-Andrew Nussbaum, MA in conflict transformation
Course Information and Schedule
Students should plan their curriculum with at least three MBA courses and at least one PAX course:
- OLS 510: Leadership and Management for the Common Good
- PAX 564: Developing Healthy Organizations OLS 530 Organizational Behavior
- MBA 560: Stewardship, Innovation, and Social Entrepreneurship
- OLS 515: Introduction to Leadership Studies
- MBA 555: Human Resource Management (every other year course)
- MBA 610: Strategic Marketing Management
- OLS 665: Project Management and Grantwriting
- PAX 601: Mediation and Negotiation
- PAX 610: Facilitation: Process Design & Skills for Dialogue, Deliberation and Decision Making
- PAX 676: Restorative Justice Practices
- PAX 588: Nonviolent Mobilization for Social Change
*Other graduate courses may be proposed to the certificate advisor for consideration.
Tuition for the certificate program is $600 per credit hour, for a total of $9,000. Books are not included in this total.
What makes this certificate unique?
- Allows working professionals to earn this certificate while continuing to work
- Complement an existing graduate degree, or build on an undergraduate degree
- Obtain this certificate as part of the 45-credit hour MA in Conflict Transformation
- Gain skills in managing people and finances and leading healthy organizations
- The certificate is issued by the MBA program and presented at commencement
Apply online: www.emu.edu/mba
Contact the MBA program for more information: