Zoom Tips for Homecoming
We are so glad you plan to join us for a virtual program! Though you are not required to have a Zoom account to participate in Eastern Mennonite University’s virtual programs, opening a free account with these programs may enhance your experience. You will need a computer, tablet or phone. Please note there are differences for Zoom meeting and webinar programs. Thank you for staying connected!
Before Your Program
- Complete your program registration. This will sign you up to receive the email with the direct link and any instructions the week of the program.
- Go to the Zoom Test Site to ensure your device camera and sound work with Zoom.
- Be sure you are using Zoom version 5.0/the latest version of the software to avoid any technical difficulties/troubles.
- The Zoom application must be allowed access to the camera and microphone within the system settings –check this on your individual devices.
- Set Virtual Background for Zoom if you choose.
During Your Program
- As you join the program, mute your microphone to help avoid feedback and disturbances. Simply click the microphone icon in the bottom corner of your screen so that it appears crossed out and red. For Zoom Webinar you will have no video or mic and be in a “listen only” mode.
- Click the three dots in the upper right corner of your video screen, and select rename to change your screen name displayed to other participants. We recommend changing it to your first name, last name, and Eastern Mennonite University class year.
- For the best viewing experience, it is important to follow any suggestions provided by the Host. Be mindful of your camera and microphone use. You could interrupt the program by accidentally unmuting or appearing on screen.
- If a presenter is sharing their screen, set your screen to speaker view and not gallery view. Click on the view option in the upper right-hand corner of the viewing screen.
- We encourage you to utilize the Zoom chat to converse with guests, react to speakers, and ask questions! The chat is a picture of a conversation bubble at the bottom of the screen in the middle. For Zoom Webinar you can raise your hand and ask questions via Q&A or chat to host/co-host or panelists.
- Good shortcuts to know for Zoom meetings:
- If you are joining by phone, *6 will toggle mute on and off for you.
- Press space bar to unmute yourself briefly.
- You can adjust several settings if you are experiencing problems with mic and video. Click on the carrot next to the video bottom left of your screen. This will bring up a settings menu.