Communication, Digital Media & Journalism
Our options are not limited to the internships listed below. Organizations listed
reflect sites where WCSC has recently placed students or those that are currently
looking for interns. Please feel free to do your own research and do not hesitate
to contact WCSC for further opportunities.
- For creative writing programs working with children see listings under “Education
Journalism, Writing, and Radio
- Street Sense Media – offers economic opportunities for people experiencing homelessness in the DC community
through a biweekly newspaper that elevates voices and encourages debate on poverty
- Past interns have been involved with editing, writing, helping with writers’ workshops,
coming up with story ideas, working with layout, and interacting with vendors.
- Al Jazeera – independent broadcaster operating online news and 24-hour TV news coverage in multiple
languages in several world regions.
- Past interns have had the opportunity to conduct research, come up with angles, ideas,
and new people to interview, conduct pre-interviews, perform data entry, and relate
to guests in the studio.
- Feature Story News – independent global broadcast news agency, headquartered in DC.
- Past interns have assisted with video shoots, setting up the studio for recording,
and editing material. They have have also been invited to research, write stories,
and record stories for the radio.
- Interfaith Voices – award-winning multifaith news radio show working to promote dialogue and reflect
on current events from faith-based perspectives.
- Interns have the opportunity to offer story ideas, research current events related
- WAMU: American University Radio – DC NPR station situated at American University, focused on DC local news.
- WPFW Pacifica Radio – station dedicated to progressive news, public affairs, and music programming in
the DC area.
- Just Vision – media outlet working to highlight peaceful interactions between Israelis and Palestinians
working for justice in the region.
- Past interns have worked with marketing and research supporting Just Vision productions.
- Washington Digital Media – small media organization creating video products for local organizations, campaigns,
Spanish language opportunity
- WUSA9 Eyewitness News – large multimedia news outlet and CBS network affiliate, serving the DC area.
Digital Media, Social Media, Photography & PR
- Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage – produces the annual Folklife Festival on the National Mall.
- Interns work with event planning and preparation, social media, and cultural education
- Capital Area Food Bank – the largest food bank in the DC metro area, serving 37.5 million meals and nearly
500,000 people struggling with hunger annually.
- Communications interns help plan events and design marketing materials.
- Bread for the World – works to end hunger around the world through research, policy advocacy, and programming
to address hunger issues.
- Interns work side by side with professional graphic designers at Bread for the World.
- YWCA – promotes awareness and action on social justice issues in the community, particularly
surrounding racism and violence against women.
- Work with marketing and communications to help get their message out.
- YMCA – dedicated to strengthening communities through youth development, social responsibility,
and healthy living.
- Past interns have promoted YMCA events, worked with social media and other marketing
- Washington Life Magazine – covers “power, philanthropy, and society” in the DC area.
Bookstores and Press Event Work
- Politics and Prose Bookstore – Independent local bookstore seeking to cultivate community and strengthen the common
good through books, programs, and a respectful exchange of ideas.
- Busboys and Poets – Bookstore, café, and community gathering place, featuring author events and poetry