Print Header Logo

Student Life

Important Information and Policies

EMU wants to provide an environment where students are safe and secure. We ask that students take seriously their choice to attend school here and recognize that the EMU college experience should not look the same as the typical college life. EMU is a smoke free and alcohol free campus.


We want to encourage use of bicycles as means of transportation, so leave your car at home and use a bike for commuting on campus and in the community. Bikes are not to be kept in student rooms, so bring a lock with you so you can secure your bike in the designated areas. Please do not leave bikes unlocked. There are bike racks or sheds at different locations around campus.


Cable TV is located in the lounges on the halls, not in the student rooms, to encourage community building. Cable outlets are available in suites and apartments. No TV’s are provided.

Car registration and parking

Faculty, staff and students who park a vehicle on campus must register their vehicle and pay an annual $60 parking fee. (This includes students residing in EMU-owned housing or apartments.)

Vehicle registration is part of academic registration for EMU classes. If you bring your vehicle to campus later in the year, you must register your vehicle within one week.

There are designated parking lots (PDF) for resident students to use.

We encourage you walk the short distance to and from class and campus events, rather than driving your vehicle, since our campus is small, safe and lovingly maintained.


You are strongly encouraged to bring a computer to school, but it is not required. As an EMU student you will have 24-hour access to computer labs. Information Systems recommends that you purchase a new computer or at least purchased within the past two years. EMU provides a wired network connection in every dorm room and wireless network access in all residence halls and in common areas in most major buildings on campus. 
When you connect to the network, you will be guided through a process to install any necessary security updates and university-provided anti-virus protection. Information Systems staff will be available during move-in weekend to assist you with connecting to the network. Personal wireless access points are not allowed on the EMU network.

Note: Your EMU tuition account must be in current status to connect your personal computer to the EMUnetwork. Please contact the Business Office for more information so access can be gained.

Damage assessments

Students are responsible for any and all damage to their assigned room or suite and will be charged appropriately to repair or replace university property. Damage to common living areas (hallways, lounges, bathrooms) will be divided as a community charge to all residents occupying that living area unless the individual responsible for the damage can be identified.

Fire and electrical safety

Multiple outlet strips are permitted if they are U.L. listed. The multiple outlet strips cannot be plugged into one another and only one per student is permitted. Extension cords may not be located under carpets, nor may they be woven through bed springs. Items which require an open flame, operate on fuel, or which produce heat (heaters, coffee makers, irons, microwaves) are prohibited. Safety checks are performed monthly by staff to ensure safety of residents.
Tampering with, or misuse of fire-safety equipment is prohibited. We want to have a safe environment so that if an alarm is going off or that if there is a fire that all equipment is going to be functioning and that all residents will take it seriously. Any students or guests found causing a false alarm may face arrest and/or university action.

ID cards

All students need to have their ID card for access to their residence hall. It also is used for the dining hall, bookstore and library. Please be sure to carry your card at all times. University personnel or Security may ask for identification. Cards may be replaced at Learning Resources for a fee.


All residence halls have free laundry to residents who live in that location. Most halls now have front load washers and dryers for students to use. Please use HE laundry soap for higher efficiency.


Lofting units are provided by the university. Beds can be arranged on floor level, as bunks or as lofts. If you are wanting to loft beds, you can check out the wrenches from your CA/RD.

Meal plans

Semester housing charges include the continuous meal plan. Students have really valued having the continuous, unlimited meal plan to fit their varying schedules. All students in traditional housing have this unlimited plan while juniors living in Hillside suites and Parkwood apartments have the 60 block plan. Seniors in Hillside and Parkwoods can choose to add a meal plan. More info on meal plans and the dining hall

Students are discouraged from cooking in the hall lounges since they are not equipped for regular meal preparation and for fire hazards and cleanliness concerns.

Off campus guests

If you have an off campus guest staying with you, you will need to register them with your CA. Should persons attempt to contact a guest on campus, various persons will know the location of your guest and transfer the call in case of emergency. A guest of the same gender may stay in the residence hall for three nights free of charge. After the third night there is a $15 per night fee. A guest can stay for a maximum of six consecutive nights, pending the RD’s approval.


Students may opt into having phone access in their rooms, although the student needs to provide their own phone. All rooms are equipped with a voice-mail box for saving and sending messages. Long distance authorization codes can be requested and then calls are billed to your student account at just 8 cents a minute. You should not share your authorization code and all calls made are your responsibility.

Post office and e-mail contacts

All students have the same campus address. Mail is delivered to the Post Office in the Campus Center. You do not need to indicate a box number. The address is:
Your Name, Eastern Mennonite University, 1200 Park Rd, Harrisonburg, VA 22802

Please Note: You are responsible to regularly check myemu, your EMU e-mail account, and your campus mailbox. This is how student life staff and faculty communicate with you.

Property insurance

The university is not responsible for personal property that is lost, stolen or damaged at any time or when it is left behind at the time the student vacates the residence hall. Parents are encouraged to add a rider to their homeowner’s policy or purchase rental insurance if the student will have valuable items on campus. It is always important to keep documents with serial #’s of these items and to keep doors locked.

Residence hall closings

Traditional residence halls are closed during Christmas and Spring breaks. Students are required to leave Northlawn, Elmwood, Maplewood and Cedarwood Halls by noon on the Saturday the break begins.

At the end of each semester, students need to check out of the residence hall 24 hours after their last exam. Residents of Hillside suites and Parkwood apartments remain open throughout the year until the Monday after graduation.

Room change requests

No moves are approved during the first two weeks of classes or the last month of classes. Any student that is experiencing challenges with their roommate is encouraged to talk with their CA/RD and begin to work at communication and mediation. After efforts have been made, the RD will proceed with next steps and discern if a move should be approved.

Any move that occurs at the end of the semester will have a $30 room change fee and needs to be approved by the housing office. The fee is waived if there are two single rooms consolidating to one double room.

Room decorations

Room decorations are encouraged to create a feel of home. Please do not use nails or tack or adhesives that will damage the walls. White sticky tac is encouraged. Posters and other decorations may not pertain to the use of alcohol, tobacco or illegal drugs, nor may it be sexually explicit or degrading. Items such as hookahs, pipes or shot glasses may not be used as decorations. Christmas lights may only be used through Christmas.

Room entry by staff

EMU respects the space and privacy of each resident student. However, the university has the right to have authorized personnel enter a student’s room or on-campus vehicle to perform safety checks and to provide accountability to community standards. Entry may happen without student permission during random searches, when there is concern for safety, or reasonable cause of violation to EMU policy or federal and state criminal laws. Effort will be made to enter a student’s room or vehicle while they are present. Refusal to open a locked vehicle or storage container when requested by a school official may be interpreted as concealing contraband.

Room lock outs

All students should lock their rooms. You should carry your ID card and key with you at all times. If you are locked out of your room, your CA should be able to get you into your room. If your CA is not available, call the RD on-call at 476-4578. If you think you have lost your key, contact your RD. There is a fee for replacing a key and re-keying the lock.

Common safety tips

  • Lock your door
  • Avoid walking or jogging alone at night
  • Use well-lighted and well-traveled routes.
  • Make sure someone knows where you are and when you expect to return
  • Always park your car in a well-lighted area
  • Familiarize yourself with emergency phone numbers (Security 432-4911)
  • Do not give others access to the residence halls
  • Never prop exterior doors open!
  • Engrave your personal possessions
  • Do not remove smoke detector batteries
  • Sign up for the campus alerts on the myEMU page

Skateboards, scooters, rollerblades

Any alternative mode of transportation that is NOT hand braked, should only be used on asphalt surfaces (i.e. parking lots) at times when there is not high vehicle or pedestrian traffic.


There are designated storage areas in residence halls for storing small items. Articles must be clearly labeled. The university assumes no responsibility and does not provide insurance for students’ personal property. Fees are billed to student accounts for summer storage.