Instructions for Pap Test
- We may want a urine specimen when you come for your appointment, so do not empty your bladder just prior to coming.
- Best time of month for test: 11-19th day of cycle – count day one as the beginning of the menstrual flow (cannot do test during menses).
- Avoid intercourse and the use of tampons for 48 hours before Pap Test.
- Do not use contraceptive jellies/foams for three days before your appointment.
- Do not use douche, bubble bath, or use vaginal medicine for three days before Pap test.
- You may shower, but do not tub bathe 24 hours before the Pap test.
- Inform your clinician about additional medications/conditions that may interfere with an accurate test.
- Be honest and candid about your sexual health and discuss any sexual practices that may place you at risk. STI screening is available.