Apply for CPE
Here is how you can apply for CPE
- Request an application packet or download the application
- Complete the standard ACPE application
- Interview with EMS CPE supervisor or submit admission interview report by ACPE supervisor.
Documents for Application
For more information contact the CPE supervisor:
Director of CPE, EMS
1200 Park Road
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
Telephone: (540) 432-4565
EMS intends to ensure that the CPE program does not discriminate against persons because of race, gender, age, faith group, national origin, sexual orientation, or physical disability. EMS also intends to ensure that inquirers regarding the CPE program are informed of the policies and procedures that govern the admission process.
Eastern Mennonite Seminary shall not discriminate against any individual for reasons of race, gender, age, faith group, national origin, sexual orientation, or physical disability. Equal access to educational opportunities is extended to all qualified persons who are prepared to commit themselves to abide by the EMS CPE program policies and procedures and the standards of ethical conduct as identified by the institutions in which they would serve as a participant in the CPE Program. However, if a student becomes a member of ACPE, Inc. they would then also be expected to abide by the ACPE Code of Professional Ethics.
All members of the faculty and consultation group are expected to cooperate in making this policy valid in fact.
This policy notwithstanding, all students accepted in the program shall be able, with reasonable accommodation, to physically perform the duties as contained in the position description for Chaplain/Pastoral Intern.
EMS intends to ensure that the Clinical Pastoral Education program is timely and clear in its communication regarding fees, tuition, payment schedule, refunds, stipends and benefits.
The EMS CPE program shall provide each potential CPE student with a copy of the tuition and fee schedule upon request of program information. Tuition and fees may be reviewed and/or changed annually. Registration of credit for the CPE unit or the Supervisor’s written evaluation may be withheld pending payment of all fees.
- The tuition expense for units of CPE is communicated in the Financial Policy and this Financial Policy is provided to each inquirer requesting application information.
- Tuition for a Unit of CPE or Unit of Supervisory CPE is due on the first day of the unit unless, the student submits in writing an alternate payment plan seven (7) days before the beginning of the unit; and the supervisor agrees to the plan, and the plan is submitted to the CPE Program Director for approval with signatures of student and supervisor.
- All tuition must be paid by the last day of a unit. The supervisor’s Final Written Evaluation of the student is not to be issued without confirmation of tuition payment.
- No credit is to be registered for the unit until tuition is paid.
- Collection costs or charges along with all attorney fees necessary for the collection of any debt to Eastern Mennonite University will be charged and paid by the debtor. All accounts in collection are reported to three major credit bureaus. (EMU Student Handbook)
A non-refundable deposit is required upon acceptance into any CPE unit to hold a place in that unit. This deposit will only be refunded if the CPE unit is canceled.
If a student leaves the unit through mutual consent, personal choice, or by choice of the supervisor in the first fourth of the CPE unit, one half of the tuition is refunded. Students withdrawing during the first half of the unit will be refunded one-fourth of the tuition. No refund will be issued after the midpoint of the unit.
There are currently no stipends or employee benefits paid to students in any EMS CPE program.
Tuition and Fees
Check the Finances page for current tuition and fees.
Eastern Mennonite Seminary’s Clinical Pastoral Education Program is an accredited center of the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc. and offers CPE Levels I and II.