Office Phone: (540) 432-4368
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: UC 136
“As a physical educator I believe in movement education and the Teaching Games for Understanding Approach (or Tactical Games). Both approaches have constructivist underpinnings and provide developmentally appropriate learning and assessment opportunities. At EMU tactical games are divided into the following categories: Net games, Territorial games, and Target and Fielding games. Each tactical games lesson includes a tactical problem to be solved, a small-sided game, questions relevant to the first game and the tactical problem, a practice task(s), a second small-sided game and concluding questions. Students learn the concepts and the skills of the sports in an integrated fashion and a tactical games lesson meets the characteristics of a good game identified by Hastie (2010) in Student-designed games: Strategies for promoting creativity, cooperation, and skill development:
- Contribute to skill development;
- Be safe;
- Include, not eliminate, students from participation (elimination makes almost no pedagogical sense when one considers that the most likely students to be eliminated are those who have the least skill and in fact need the most practice);
- Have high participation rates; and
- Be structured so that all children are successful and are being challenged. (p. 6)
If you need a reason for having sweet dreams, think of your best student. If you need a reason to get out of bed in the morning, think of your worst one Author Unknown"
Sandy Brownscombe is the chair of the physical education and recreation department and professor of physical education. Sandy earned her Ed.D. from Argosy University/Sarasota, where her dissertation focused on how second and third-year teachers develop and demonstrate caring in their classrooms. She has been a member of the EMU faculty since 1978 teaching both physical education and education courses and also coached field hockey, women’s basketball, and men’s volleyball and is a member of the EMU Athletics Hall of Honor. As the Chair of the College/University Section of Virginia Association of Health Physical Education Recreation and Dance (VAHPERD) Sandy also serves as a member of the VAHPERD Representatives Assembly. She will serve as a member of the Association of Teacher Educator (ATE) National Board of Directors until February 2016. From 2000-2015 Sandy served as EMU’s representative on the Mid-Valley Clinical Faculty Consortium for Teacher Education Steering Committee before she returned as the chair of the physical education and recreation department in May of 2015.
- Ed. D. in K-12 Curriculum and Instruction, Argosy University/Sarasota, May 2004, Dissertation Title: Infusing An Ethic Of Care In A P-12 Learning Community: A Case Study Of Second And Third-Year Teachers
- Master of Science in Physical Education, Washington State University, August 1978
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Northern Colorado, June 1973, Nk-12 Endorsement in Health and Physical Education
Brownscombe, S. L., (1978). The ability to perceive varying line colors and widths on gymnasium floors. Athletic Purchasing and Facilities, 2(6), 48-49.
Scholarly Presentations and Abstracts
- Brownscombe, S., PETE Network Roundtable, SHAPE Southern District Convention, Williamsburg, VA, February 11, 2016.
- Brownscombe, S., VA SOL #1: Motor Skill Development. JMU Content Teaching Academy: K-12 Physical Education, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA, June 25, 2015. Invited.
- Brownscombe, S, & Hough, T. H., Voices from the Field: Preservice teachers reflect on their practicum experience and development as reading teachers. Virginia Association of Teacher Educators Spring Conference, Salem, VA, April 16, 2015. Blind reviewed
- Brownscombe, S, & Hall, D., Recruiting and Retaining Quality Mentor Teachers by Developing Clinical Faculty Teachers to Support Student Teachers. Association of Teacher Educators Summer Conference, Niagara Falls, NY, August 3, 2014. Blind reviewed
- Brownscombe, S, & Smeltzer Erb, C., Equitable Instruction: Classroom practices that support socially just learning, Association of Teacher Educators Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, February 18, 2013. Blind reviewed
- Developing and Modifying Student Teacher Assessments and Cooperating Teacher Training through a Cross University-School Partnership, Association of Teacher Educators Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, February 17, 2013. Blind reviewed
Church, Community and Professional Service
- Member of the Association of Teacher Educators Board of Directors (2011-2016)
- Chair of the College/University Section Virginia Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (VAHPERD) (2014-2016)
- Member of the Association of Teacher Educators Board of Directors Executive Committee (2014-2015)
- Member of MidValley Consortium for Teacher Education subcommittee for the revision of the Student Teaching Evaluation form (2014-2015)
- Co-Chair for the Association of Teacher Educators 2014 Summer Conference, Niagara Falls, NY, August 1-5, 2014
- MidValley Clinical Faculty Training: Conducting post-observation conferences, Reflection And Evaluation–Impact On Student Learning, Problem-solving: Developing strategies to work with developing student teachers, Characteristics of Student Teachers and Adult Learners, and Content Knowledge, Bridgewater, VA, November and April 2008-2015
- Member of the Association of Teacher Educators Technology and the Future of Teacher Education Standing Committee (2011-2016)
- Lead Author of the Revision of MidValley Consortium Health and Physical Education Student Teaching Reference Guide , A collaborative project of the STEP Project, Harrisonburg, VA, Fall, 2010
- Co-Chair for the Association of Teacher Educators Commission on the Development of/and Preparation for Teaching the Whole Child, 2008-2011
- Past-President 2009-2011, Virginia Association of Teacher Educators
- President 2007-2009, Virginia Association of Teacher Educators
- Changing the Paradigm: Playing Games Everyday and Defining why we teach what we do?, Inservice for Harrisonburg City Public Schools Physical Education teachers, February 18, 2008
Honors, Awards and Grants
- 2008 Shenandoah Valley Virginia Chapter Phi Delta Kappa Distinguished Service in Education Award
- From student teacher to beginning teacher: Clinical faculty supports that help beginning teachers. A Virginia Department of Education Mentor Teacher/Clinical Faculty Grant with the Institutions of Higher Education of the MidValley Consortium for Teacher Education and Augusta County Schools. 2006-2007
- Association of Teacher Educators Leadership Academy 2006 Cohort
- Inductions into the Eastern Mennonite University Athletic Hall of Honor, Harrisonburg, VA, Individual Induction October 9, 2004. 1980 Field Hockey Team Induction October 13, 2012. “EMU Hall of Honor”: http://emuroyals.com/hallofhonor/index
- Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE America)
- Virginia Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance: Chair for the College/University Section (2015-16); Representatives Assembly (2015-16); AD HOC Diversity Committee
- Association of Teacher Educators: Board of Directors 2011-2016
- Virginia Association of Teacher Educators: Higher Education Delegate 2011-12; Past-President 2009-2011; President 2007-2009; President-Elect 2005-2007.
- Phi Delta Kappa
Professional Conferences Attended
- SHAPE Southern District Convention, Williamsburg, VA, February 11-13, 2016.
- SHAPE PETE & HETE Conference, Atlanta, GA, October 28-31, 2015.
- ATE-VA/VACTE Fall Conference, Salem, VA, October 8-9, 2015.
- Association of Teacher Educators Summer Conference, Minneapolis, MN, July 30-August 4, 2015.
- Council of Independent Colleges 2015 Workshop for Department and Division Chairs:, Providence, RI, May 19-21, 2015.
- ATE-VA/VACTE Spring Conference, Salem, VA, April 16-17, 2015.
- Association of Teacher Educators Annual Conference, Phoenix, AZ February 14-17, 2015.
- Virginia Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance Convention, Virginia Beach, VA, November 6-9, 2014.
- ATE-VA/VACTE Fall Conference, Salem, VA, October 2-3, 2014.
- Association of Teacher Educators Summer Conference, Niagara Falls, NY August 1-5, 2014.
- Association of Teacher Educators Annual Conference, St. Louis, MO, February 13-18, 2014.
- Virginia Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance Convention, Virginia Beach, VA, November 8-9, 2013.
- Association of Teacher Educators Summer Conference, Washington, DC August 2-6, 2013.
- Chair of Physical Education and Recreation Department (2015 to present)
- Committee on Teacher Education (1979 to present)
- Teacher Education Department Field Experience Coordinator (2000-2015)
- EMU Hall of Honor Executive Board (2008-2015)
- Faculty Status Committee (2012-2015)
- Instructional Technology and Distance Learning Committee (2012-2015)
- Information Systems Planning Committee (2009-2014)
- Interim Co-Chair of Undergraduate Teacher Education (January 1-May 31, 2011)
- Teacher Education Admissions Committee (2000-2015)
- Teacher Education Assessment Committee (2012-2015)