MA in Biomedicine FAQs

Who should apply?

This program is open to students who have already completed a baccalaureate degree but have continuing interest in health and human biology. The program is designed for students who want to enter medical, dental, or other professional health schools but lack the prerequisite coursework, or want to advance their skills in teaching.

How long is the program?

To receive the master of arts degree (48 SH), the program can be completed in two years. To receive a certificate, 28 SH must be earned.

How much is tuition?

Tuition and fees for the 2017-18 academic year for the MA in Biomedicine program and other graduate programs are available on the Business Office website.

Is financial aid available?

Federally guaranteed loans are available to qualified individuals. EMU’s financial assistance office offers counseling regarding federal and private loans. A limited number of teaching assistantships are available and will be handled by the financial assistance office and constitute a part of the student’s financial aid package. Full-time students who are residents of Virginia may apply for the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (applications available in financial assistance office deadline is July 31).

How many students are in the program?

Each class will have approximately 12-15 students. Small classes help to ensure excellent educational experiences and allow faculty opportunities to interact one on one with students as mentors.

When are applications due?

The standing deadline is June 1st. Applications are considered on a rolling basis; thus early applicants have some advantage in the process. Applications received after June 1st will be considered if any student openings are still available.

Are GRE/MCAT scores necessary to apply?

Yes, a graduate admissions test such as the GRE or MCAT score is necessary in order to be considered for admission. If you have not taken the GRE or MCAT, we recommend you submit your application now and have your test scores sent as soon as they are available in order to complete your application. We also accept DAT, OAT, VCAT, and other professional school admission test scores.

Are there separate course sections for MA in biomed program?

For many of the natural science courses graduate lecture periods are integrated with undergraduate students with separate laboratory section or additional graduate experiences. Over half of the coursework, though, is limited to graduate students.

Can students re-take undergraduate science courses?

Some courses taken at the undergraduate level can be re-taken at the graduate level.

What kinds of academic and advising support are provided?

Each student will be assigned an advisor to assist in appropriate course selection that can help the student realize his/her dream of for a career as a future health care professional. In addition advisors offer counseling in applying to medical or other advanced health care graduate schools that are best suited for each student. Students who wish to enter directly into the biomedical work world are assisted acquiring job practicums and in applying for permanent jobs.

Is it possible to specialize within the biomedicine program?

Yes, students can opt to enter one of two areas: Science Concentration and Teaching Concentration.

How are the program concentrations similar? How do they differ?

Both program concentrations are built on a core of courses (minimally 24 SH) involving natural & social science, interdisciplinary studies, cross-cultural study, bioethics and religion, statistics, and a research project or an extensive internship.

Most of our students are enrolled in the Science Concentration, which requires additional natural science courses. This program is designed to prepare a student for future studies in medical or dental school or other professional health school.

The Teaching Concentration prepares students to teach in a community college or trade school. Alternatively current high school science teachers use this program to enhance their teaching credentials.

Does the MA in Biomedicine program have any articulation agreements with professional health schools (medical, dental, etc.)?

Yes. We have secured articulation agreements with a number of medical and other professional health schools. We are currently in conversations with other professional health schools for similar agreements.

How can I submit updated/corrected documents to my application after submitting online?

Our online application has a “save” feature, so applicants are encouraged to verify all information is correct and current prior to submission. Any new information such as GRE/MCAT scores or letters of recommendation should be sent electronically to

Is a letter from a professor necessary if I have been out of school for several years?

Yes, a letter from a collegiate instructor is necessary.

Is it possible to work while enrolled in the program?

The course work for full time students is designed to be intense in order to properly prepare students for medical or other graduate schools with doctoral programs. We strongly encourage students to limit their outside commitments, including limiting work to no more than 8–10 hours per week.

What are the housing options?

EMU owns several rental apartment complexes that are available to students on a first-come, first-served basis.

What are the language requirements for international students?

For applicants whose native language is not English, a 550 on the paper Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)is required. A paper-based score of 550 is equivalent to: 79-80 on the internet based TOEFL, 213 on the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 7 on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Applicants who have studied and received a degree from a college or university where all instruction is in English are not required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores).

Biomed IconMA in Biomed


Latest News

  • Loading...


  • Loading...