MBA and Healthcare Management Dual Degree
Expand your career options and enhance your leadership skills with a dual MBA and
Healthcare Management degree. This degree provides students with the relevant business
skills for effective decision making and ethical leadership to improve the quality
of healthcare in hospitals, insurance and managed care companies, pharmaceuticals,
public health organizations, biotech firms, and a variety of healthcare settings.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a minimal undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale). However, those who do not meet this criteria, but, have extensive experience in the healthcare and/or business field, are encouraged to apply; if all other admissions requirements are met, the applicant may be conditionally admitted. If the student earns a 3.0 GPA in the first two semesters of studies, the student’s conditional status is removed and will be considered fully admitted.
- A minimum of 2 years of work experience or alternative work experiences, such as a business-related undergraduate degree or other graduate degrees or studies. Health-care setting experience preferred. For applicants with less work experience, they may be asked to take the:
- GMAT or GRE or equivalent entrance exam; and/or
- Prerequisite undergraduate courses in finance and accounting especially for those who do not have relevant undergraduate coursework.
- A completed MHM online application that includes an essay as described in the application that focuses on goals and motivations for obtaining a master’s degree.
- A nonrefundable $50 application fee also payable online.
- Two references submitted online after forms sent by EMU to the references:
- One from a professor from your most recent academic program.
- One from a work supervisor.
- If an academic reference is unable to be obtained, applicants may utilize a colleague if you have been employed with them for the last five years.
Course requirements for the Dual MBA/HCM degree (61 SH total)
|Fall 1 (MA in Healthcare Management)|
|OLS 515 Introduction to Leadership Studies (3 SH)|
|NURS 516 Application of Legal and Ethical Principles to Healthcare (3 SH)|
|Spring 1 (MA in Healthcare Management)|
|OLS 530 Organizational Behavior or NURS 628 Systems Approach to Organizational Behavior (3 SH)|
|NURS 515 The Healthcare Delivery System (3 SH)|
|Summer 1 (MA in Healthcare Management)|
|Take an HRM course (will be options) or NURS 626 Managing in a Complex Healthcare Environment (3 SH)|
|Cross-cultural: BIOMED/MAOL option (3 SH)|
|Fall 2 (MA in Healthcare Management)|
|NURS 503 Practice Skills for Conflict Transformation (3 SH)|
|NURS 702 Health Information Technology (3 SH)|
|Spring 2 (MA in Healthcare Management)|
|NURS 620 Safety, Risk Reduction, and Quality Care (pre-req can be waived or addressed with another assignment) (4 SH)|
|OLS 540 Managerial Financial and Accounting I (3 SH)|
|Summer 2 (MA in Healthcare Management)|
|NURS 512 Knowledge Development: Epidemiology and Informatics (3 SH)|
|Healthcare Management Capstone Course (3 SH)|
|Fall 3 (MBA)|
|MBA 522 Leadership and Management for the Common Good (3 SH)|
|MBA 541 Global Sustainability (3 SH)|
|MBA 671 Data Analytics for Decision Making (3 SH)|
|Spring 3 (MBA)|
|MBA 615 Narrative Leadership (3 SH)|
|MBA 670 Strategic Leadership in a Multicultural World (3 SH)|
|Fall 4 (MBA)|
|MBA 623 Financial Management (3 SH)|
|MBA 647 Strategic Marketing Management (3 SH)|
|MBA 663 Managerial Economics (3 SH)|