DEPARTMENT: CJP - Center for Justice & Peacebuilding
POSITION: Associate Professor
LOCATION: Main Campus, Harrisonburg | MS 105
PHONE: (540) 432-4270
Gloria Rhodes is associate professor of peacebuilding and conflict studies at EMU. As a faculty member at the Center for Justice and Peacebuilding, she teaches conflict and peacebuilding theory, personal formation, practice and analysis. She also teaches courses for the undergraduate program in Peacebuilding and Development and the Masters of Nursing. She served as Administrative Director of the Summer Peacebuilding Institute and as a program assistant for the National Conference on Peacemaking and Conflict Resolution. She has led semester and summer cross cultural programs in Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Russia, South Korea and the Navajo Nation. Her areas of expertise include peacebuilding curriculum development and pedagogy, conflict assessment and situation analysis, practice-related research, group facilitation and mediation, enneagram training, and cross cultural education. She holds a PhD in conflict analysis and resolution from George Mason University.
BA, Eastern Mennonite University
MS, George Mason University
PHD, George Mason University
[Book Review] The Jesus Factor in Justice and Peacemaking by C. Norman Kraus. Mennonite Quarterly Review, 89.4. Goshen, IN. 2015.
Envisioning the Future: Interviews with Three STAR Practitioners. Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience Newsletter. Eastern Mennonite University, May, 2014.
Memorial Day Reflection, and Drawing Trees. In Landis, Susan Mark, Lisa Amstutz, Cindy Snider, Judith Kulp, eds. Seasoned with Peace: Spring. Peacemeal Press, 2011.
Avoiding Conflict. In Landis, Susan Mark, Lisa Amstutz, Cindy Snider, eds. Seasoned with Peace: Winter. Peacemeal Press, 2010.
Mennonites. The Oxford International Encyclopedia of Peace. Oxford University Press, 2010.
Drawing Trees. PeaceSigns. Orrville, OH: Peace and Justice Support Network of MCUSA, June 16, 2009.
Conflict Resolution and Conflict Transformation Practice: Is There a Difference?. Unpublished Dissertation. Fairfax, VA: George Mason University, December 5, 2008. Full text
Exploring Peace and Conflict. In Garber, Julie, B. Welling Hall, Joseph Liechty, Timothy McElwee, eds. Peace, Justice, and Security Studies: A Curriculum Guide. Boulder, Colo.: Lynne Reinner Publishers. August 2008.
Scholarly Presentations and Abstracts
- Measuring Up: Professional Development and Self-Awareness with Dr. Mara Schoeny. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference. Dallas, TX. October, 2017. Accepted.
- Learning from Each Other: Undergraduate Programs in Peace and Conflict
Studies Roundtable. Peace and Justice Studies Association Conference. James Madison University, et al, Harrisonburg, VA. October 2015.
- Bridging Cultures and Conflict: Constructive approaches in the intercultural workplace. Administrative Professionals Day Keynote Address. Blue Ridge Community College, April 25, 2015.
- Bridging Cultures: Culture and Conflict. Staff In-service Address. Blue Ridge Community College, October 7, 2014.
- Bridging Professional Worlds; Interdisciplinary Conflict Resolution Education with Dr. Rachel Monaco-Wilcox, Mount Mary University. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN, October 9-12, 2013.
- Peace Work: How do colleges and university conflict resolution and peace studies programs contribute? with Dr. Mara Schoeny, George Mason University, et al. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN, October 9-12, 2013.
- Are They Getting It? Creating an Assessment Plan for Skills Learning in Conflict Resolution Training and Education, with Dr. Mara Schoeny, George Mason University. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, September 13-15, 2012.
- Reaching Across the Fence: Creating Opportunities to Learn with and From Others, with Dr. Mara Schoeny and Dr. Alma Jadallah, George Mason University, and Dr. Frank Dukes, University of Virginia. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, September 13-15, 2012.
- Comparing Conflict Resolution and Conflict Transformation Practice: Competing professional identities or complementary practices? International Studies Association Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, March 30-April 3, 2012.
- Did they get it? Assessing practice-based learning in conflict resolution training and education with Dr. Mara Schoeny, George Mason University. Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, October 13-15, 2011.
- Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience 2-day Preconference Workshop 4th International Summit on Conflict Resolution Education. Building Infrastructures for Change: Innovations in Conflict Resolution Education (CRE). June 8-13, 2011. Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
- Attachment Theory and Peacebuilding. Conversations on Attachment: Integrating the Science of Love and Spirituality Conference. Harrisonburg, VA. March 31-April 2, 2011.