DEPARTMENT: Nursing Dept
POSITION: Associate Professor
DEPARTMENT: MS in Nursing
POSITION: Assistant Professor
LOCATION: Main Campus, Harrisonburg | CC 333
PHONE: (540) 432-4195
Laura has clinical experience in medical-surgical nursing, progressive care/ telemetry nursing, advanced nursing care (Primary Care Adult Nurse Practitioner), and nursing research. She is a BSN graduate of Goshen College, holds a MS degree in nursing from the University of South Florida, and a PhD in nursing from the University of Virginia. Her research centers around understanding adolescent health behavior and the multilevel contextual influences relating to the development of healthy lifestyles. She enjoys spending time with her son, daughter, husband, and family, and hobbies include singing, ballroom dancing, road cycling, and reading. She is a board member for the Pi Mu At Large chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honors Society and for Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship. Laura is an active member of Park View Mennonite Church.
BS, Goshen College
MS, University of South Florida
PHD, University of Virginia
Kulbok, P., Yoder, L., Park, E., Tong, C. (June 2017, Under review). RO1 grant proposal submitted to NINR. Portfolio approach to sustainable wellness: Transitions from Adolescence to Adulthood.
Martin, S.E., Drake, E., Yoder, L., Gibson, M., Like, C.A. (Nov 2015). Active duty women’s perceptions of breastfeeding support in the military setting. Military Medicine.
Pitcock, N., Drake, E., Kulbok, P., Pineda, K., Gibson, M., Yoder, L. (Aug 2015). Evaluation of an initiative to increase exclusive breastfeeding among rural Hispanic women. Clinical Lactation.
Yoder, L.A.G., Xin, W., Norris, K.C., Yan, G. (2013). Patient care staffing levels and facility characteristics in U.S. hemodialysis facilities. _American Journal of Kidney Disease, 62_(6), 1130-1140.
Scholarly Presentations and Abstracts
- May 19, 2016. Galang, H., Yost, G., Yoder, L., Hahn, D. “Project Proposal: A Randomized Trial Comparing Outcomes of Three Types of Peripheral Intravenous Catheters.” Sentara Nursing Leadership Academy. Norfolk, VA.
- January 26, 2016. Yoder, L.A.G. “Last Lecture: A President, A Pastor, A Professor.” Presented as part of a series developed by EMU Student Life. EMU Northlawn Great Lounge, Harrisonburg, VA.
- February 12, 2016. Pitcock, N., Ossinova, N., Pineda, K., Yoder, L. “Tengo Leche! building Upon a Successful Initiative to Increase Breasfeeding rates Among Rural Hispanic Immigrant Mothers.” Interdisciplinary and quality Research Symposium. Winchester Medical Center – Valley Health.
- September 18, 2014. Yoder, L.A.G., Kulbok, P.A., & Schmidt, K. “Complex Relationships among Multi-Level Contextual Factors for Adolescent Health Promotion.” The Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science 2014 State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research. Washington, D.C.
- November 2, 2012. Yoder, L.A.G. “Substance Free Youth: Who Are They and What Can We Learn from Them?” Leadership and Education in Adolescent Health Fellows, Seminar, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD.
- June 6-8, 2014. Akerson, E. Glick, D., Kane, C., Bullock, L., & Yoder, L. “Interprofessional Family Reviews: Collaborative Support with Community Health Workers.” All Together Better Health Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Feb. 12-15, 2014. Yoder, L.A.G. “Patterns of Ecological Influencing Factors for Health Promotion in Substance Free Youth.” Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Research Conference, San Antonio, Texas.
- Feb. 27-March 2, 2013. Yoder, L.A.G. “An Evolutionary Concept Analysis of Emotional Intelligence.” Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Research Conference, Little Rock, Arkansas.
- April 3-4, 2012. Yoder, L.A.G. & Kulbok, P.A. “Substance-Free Youth: A Systematic Literature Review.” Virginia Youth Tobacco Project, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA. Abstract published in The Future of Tobacco Control: Implications for the Prevention of Youth Tobacco Use in Virginia.
- Feb. 20-23, 2012. Yoder, L.A.G. & Kulbok, P.A. “Substance-Free Youth: A Systematic Literature Review.” Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Research Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Dec. 21, 2010. Laboratory Results: Pieces of the Diagnostic Puzzle. Co-presented with colleague Catherine Rittenhouse at Rockingham Memorial Hospital.