DEPARTMENT: CJP - Center for Justice & Peacebuilding
POSITION: Associate Professor
DEPARTMENT: MA in Organizational Leadership
POSITION: Associate Professor
LOCATION: Main Campus, Harrisonburg | CC 214
PHONE: (540) 432-4423
David R. Brubaker, Director of the MBA and OLS Programs and Associate Professor of Organizational Studies. David earned a BS in Business Administration from Messiah College, an MBA from Eastern University, and a PhD from the University of Arizona, where he specialized in the study of change and conflict in religious organizations. David has trained or consulted with over 100 organizations, including in Africa, Asia, Australia, Latin America, North America, and Europe.
Since graduation from college in 1980 David served with several community development and conflict transformation organizations. These roles included Associate Director of Mennonite Conciliation Service and Assistant Director of Mennonite Central Committee’s Brazil program where he became fluent in Portuguese. David is the author of numerous articles on conflict transformation and organizational development. He is also the author of “Promise and Peril: Understanding and Managing Change and Conflict in Congregations,” published by The Alban Institute and co-author (with Ruth Hoover Zimmerman) of “The Little Book of Healthy Organizations,” published by Good Books.
- B.S., Messiah College (1980)
- M.B.A., Eastern University (1992)
- Ph.D., University of Arizona (2007)
- Author, Promise and Peril: Understanding and Managing Change and Conflict in Congregations. Alban Institute, 2009. (Read an interview regarding this book at the following link: www.churchexecutive.com/webexclusive.asp?N_ID=2175)
- Co-Author, The Little Book of Healthy Organizations. Good Books, 2009.
- Compiler, Conflict Resolution in the Workplace: What Will the Future Bring? Conflict Resolution Quarterly, Vol. 31, Number 4 (Summer 2014)
- Author, Welcoming “Voice” in Organizations. Shalom! Journal, Fall, 2013.
- Author, Leading Healthy Organizations in a Turbulent Environment. Monday Developments, Nov/Dec 2008; Interaction.
- Author, Organizational Conflict Intervention: An Arena for Justice Making. ACResolution Magazine, Summer, 2008; Association for Conflict Resolution.
- Author, Got Conflict? Deal with it! Leader Magazine, Fall, 2006. Mennonite Church.
- Editor, Groups: Process, Conflict, Systemic Change. Chapter 5 in Mediation and Facilitation Training Manual; Mennonite Conciliation Service, 2000.
- Co-Author, Conflict in Congregations. Chapter 15 in Making Peace with Conflict: Practical Skills for Conflict Transformation; Herald Press, 1999.
- Co-Author, Conflict Transformation Training in Another Culture: A Case Study from Angola. Mediation Quarterly, Spring, 1999.
- Author, Organizational Trauma Recovery: The God’s Fellowship Community Church Reconciliation Process, in the Consensus Building Handbook, 1999.
- Author, numerous articles published in Conciliation Quarterly and Conflict Resolution Quarterly.
- Academia.edu Site: https://easternmennonite.academia.edu/DavidBrubaker
Scholarly Presentations and Abstracts
- “Coaching Change in Organizations: From Conflict Resolution to Organizational Development.” Presentation to the Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, October 8, 2015, Reno, NV.
- “Rebuilding Harmony in Houses of Worship: Resolving Conflicts in Faith-Based Congregations.” Full-day Workshop for the Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, October 11, 2014, Cincinnati, OH.
- “Coaching Organizations in Developing Integrated Conflict Management Systems: A Restorative Perspective” (with Sigal Shoham). Presentation to the Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, October 10, 2013, Minneapolis, MN.
- “Learning from Peace Processes in Deeply Divided Societies: The Role of Faith-Based Peacebuilders.” Presentation to the Association for Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, September 14, 2012, New Orleans, LA.
- “Managing Change and Conflict in Congregations.” Presentation to the 2010 Massanetta Springs Bible Conference; August 3, 2010; Harrisonburg, VA.
- “From the Inside Out: Transforming Organizational Conflict by Coaching an Internal Reference Team.” Presentation to the Association for Conflict Resolution; October 9, 2009; Atlanta, Georgia.
- “Conflict as Opportunity: Transforming Organizational Conflict into Opportunity for Systemic Change.” Presentation to the Association for Conflict Resolution; September 27, 2008; Austin, Texas.
- “All About Assessment: The Ombuds Role and Organizational Transformation.” Presentation to the International Ombudsman Association; April 14, 2007; St. Louis, MO.
- “All About Assessment: Organizational Conflict Intervention as Opportunity for Systemic Change.” Presentation to the Association for Conflict Resolution; October 27, 2006; Philadelphia, PA.
- “Change and Conflict in Congregations: Research Results from 100 Religious Congregations in Dynamic Environments.” Presentation to the Association for Conflict Resolution; October 1, 2005; Minneapolis, MN.