Crisis Management Preparedness Team (CMPT)
EMU’s Crisis Management Preparedness Team was appointed by President Loren Swartzendruber in 2006 to create a comprehensive crisis preparedness plan. It is one of several campus groups that are safety- and crisis-oriented. (See a diagram of those teams and their functions.)
The team meets monthly to review policies and safety plans, discuss crisis scenarios and drills, review communication plans, and process all things related to potential campus crises.
Especially for parents
EMU makes communication with parents of students top priority in the event of crises.
EMU uses a multi-functional emergency alert system which includes text messaging, email, website pages and nearly 200 alert beacons located across the campus. More information about these systems can be found on the Information Systems HelpZone. Current alerts appear on the ‘Alerts’ tab of myEMU.
Training and drills
CMPT regularly participates in table top exercises and drills. These include:
- training seminars for media personnel;
- observing drills hosted by local fire, police and rescue personnel;
- hosting law enforcement for on-campus training;
- joining nationwide webinars hosted by FEMA;
- hosting FEMA for on-campus training.
The CMPT also oversees required campus drills and training, including:
- building evacuation;
- lock-down situations such as active shooter training;
- the Great Southeast ShakeOut each fall;
- and the tornado preparedness drill each spring sponsored by the National Weather Service.
Email individual team members or phone EMU student life offices at 540-432-4135.
- Daryl Bert, chair, vice president of finance
- Ben Beachy, director, information systems
- Eric Codding, associate dean of students & director, housing and residence life
- Pam Comer director, counseling services
- David Emswiler, coordinator of campus safety and security
- Marcy Engle, director, human resources
- Bernadette Griffith, administrative assistant for student life
- Mia Kivlighan, media relations manager
- Irene Kniss, director, health services
- Ed Lehman, director, facilities management
- Jim Smucker, vice-president, enrollment and student life
- Andrea Wenger, director, marketing and communications
- Twila Yoder, assistant to the president and executive secretary to the board of trustees