Crisis Management Preparedness Team (CMPT)
EMU’s Crisis Management Preparedness Team has been in operation since spring 2006, when President Loren Swartzendruber formed the group and tasked its members with creating a comprehensive crisis preparedness plan.
CMPT is one of several campus teams that are safety- and crisis-oriented. (See a diagram of those teams and their functions.)
CMPT meets monthly to review policies and safety plans, discuss crisis scenarios and drills, review communication plans, and process all things related to potential campus crises.
Especially for parents
EMU makes communication with parents of students top priority in the event of crises.
CMPT has overseen the implementation of a multi-functional emergency alert system which includes text messaging, email, website pages and nearly two hundred alert beacons located in rooms across the campus. More information about these systems can be found on the Information Systems HelpZone . Any current alerts will be shown on the ‘Alerts’ tab of myEMU .
Email individual team members or phone EMU student life offices at 540-432-4135.
- Daryl Bert, chair, vice president of finance*
- Ken L. Nafziger vice president for student life and dean of students
- Jim Smucker , vice president and graduate dean
- Bernadette Griffith, administrative assistant for student life
- Mia Kivlighan, media relations manager
- Pam Comer director, counseling services
- Marcy Engle, director, human resources
- Eldon Kurtz, director, facilities management
- David Emswiler, coordinator of campus safety and security
- Eric Codding, associate dean of students & director, housing and residence life
- Ben Beachy, director, information systems
- Irene Kniss, director, health services
- Andrea Wenger, director, marketing and communications
- Twila Yoder, assistant to the president