Office Phone: (540) 432-4423
Cell Phone: (540) 560-2883
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: MS 102
Office Hours: Wednesdays, 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 noon
“Since heeding the call to become a university instructor in 1997, I have attempted to integrate my passion for justice and peace rooted in Christ’s life and teachings into my academic and practice work. I believe that my mission in life is to partner with organizational leaders to create healthier organizations that will over time transform both organizational members and the communities that they serve, thus leading to a more peaceful and just world community.”
David R. Brubaker, Associate Professor of Organizational Studies. David earned a BS in Business Administration from Messiah College, an MBA from Eastern University, and a PhD from the University of Arizona, where he specialized in the study of change and conflict in religious organizations. David has trained or consulted with over 100 organizations, including in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Europe.
Since graduation from college in 1980 David served with several community development and conflict transformation organizations. These roles included Associate Director of Mennonite Conciliation Service and Assistant Director of Mennonite Central Committee’s Recife, Brazil program where he became fluent in Portuguese. David is the author of numerous articles on conflict transformation, both in organizations and internationally. He is also the author of “Promise and Peril: Understanding and Managing Change and Conflict in Congregations,” published by The Alban Institute and co-author (with Ruth Hoover Zimmerman) of “The Little Book of Healthy Organizations,” published by Good Books.
B.S., Messiah College (1980)
M.B.A., Eastern University (1992)
Ph.D., University of Arizona (2007)
- Author, Promise and Peril: Understanding and Managing Change and Conflict in Congregations. Alban Institute, 2009. (Read an interview regarding this book at the following link: www.churchexecutive.com/webexclusive.asp?N_ID=2175)
- Co-Author, The Little Book of Healthy Organizations. Good Books, 2009.
- Author, Leading Healthy Organizations in a Turbulent Environment. Monday Developments, Nov/Dec 2008; Interaction.
- Author, Organizational Conflict Intervention: An Arena for Justice Making. ACResolution Magazine, Summer, 2008; Association for Conflict Resolution.
- Author, Got Conflict? Deal with it! Leader Magazine, Fall, 2006. Mennonite Church.
- Editor, Groups: Process, Conflict, Systemic Change. Chapter 5 in Mediation and Facilitation Training Manual; Mennonite Conciliation Service, 2000.
- Co-Author, Conflict in Congregations. Chapter 15 in Making Peace with Conflict: Practical Skills for Conflict Transformation; Herald Press, 1999.
- Co-Author, Conflict Transformation Training in Another Culture: A Case Study from Angola. Mediation Quarterly, Spring, 1999.
- Author, Organizational Trauma Recovery: The God’s Fellowship Community Church Reconciliation Process, in the Consensus Building Handbook, 1999.
- Author, numerous articles published in Conciliation Quarterly and Conflict Resolution Quarterly.
- Academia.edu Site: https://easternmennonite.academia.edu/DavidBrubaker
Scholarly Presentations and Abstracts
- “Managing Change and Conflict in Congregations.” Presentation to the 2010 Massanetta Springs Bible Conference; August 3, 2010; Harrisonburg, VA.
- “Peace with Self.” Presentation to the Peace-Bearers Convocation of the Center for Baptist Heritage and Studies; May 18, 2010; Richmond, Virginia.
- “From the Inside Out: Transforming Organizational Conflict by Coaching an Internal Reference Team.” Presentation to the Association for Conflict Resolution; October 9, 2009; Atlanta, Georgia.
- “Conflict as Opportunity: Transforming Organizational Conflict into Opportunity for Systemic Change.” Presentation to the Association for Conflict Resolution; September 27, 2008; Austin, Texas.
- “All About Assessment: The Ombuds Role and Organizational Transformation.” Presentation to the International Ombudsman Association; April 14, 2007; St. Louis, MO.
- “All About Assessment: Organizational Conflict Intervention as Opportunity for Systemic Change.” Presentation to the Association for Conflict Resolution; October 27, 2006; Philadelphia, PA.
- “Change and Conflict in Congregations: Research Results from 100 Religious Congregations in Dynamic Environments.” Presentation to the Association for Conflict Resolution; October 1, 2005; Minneapolis, MN.
- Member, Association for Conflict Resolution (ACR).
- Member, The Alban Institute.
- Member, The Organization Development Network.
- Vice President, Faculty Senate. 2013 to present.
- Practicum Director, Center for Justice and Peacebuilding. 2009 to present.
- Member, Leadership Team of the Center for Justice and Peacebuilding, 2006 to 2011.
- Academic Director, Center for Justice and Peacebuilding. 2006 to 2009.
- Co-Facilitator, Academic Structure Review Task Force. 2006/2007.
- Co-Director, University Accord. 2004 to 2006.
- Member, Prioritization Steering Committee. 2004/2005.