Important updates for Residency in Virginia
There have been several regulation changes from the Virginia Board of Counseling effective August 1, 2018. Please review the full list of final changes by clicking on this link Board of Counseling Regulations.
Here is what you will need to do PRIOR to beginning your residency in order to be considered license eligible by the VA Department of Health Professions:
- Official transcript (obtain through registrar’s office)
- LPC initial registration of supervision application (you do not need to fill out the
last two pages of this form.)
- You and your residency site supervisor fill out these forms together
- Verification of Required Coursework and Internship Form (Obtain this from MAC Department) – Be sure to carefully check and make sure this lines up with your personal experience.
- Registration of supervisor fee (As of 2018, the fee is $65)
What you should be mailing to the board (be sure to keep copies for yourself):
- Transcript in a sealed envelope
- LPC registration application
- Verification of Required Coursework and Internship Form in a sealed envelope with a signature across the seal
- Your check for the registration fee
In the meantime: wait for your confirmation letter from the board before you start counting residency hours. You may not accrue hours towards residency until you have received a letter from the board.
DURING RESIDENCY: Track your hours accordingly and complete quarterly evaluations with your residency supervisor as directed.
Application to add or change registered supervisor or supervised setting Application Packet to Add/Change to Supervision.