DEPARTMENT: Business & Economics Dept
LOCATION: Main Campus, Harrisonburg | CC 206E
PHONE: (540) 432-4154
Dr. Gingrich specializes in development and international economics. His research activities cover a variety of topics, including the fair trade coffee market, mosquito net demand and delivery systems, and the sustainability and effectiveness of microfinance programs. He has worked on various assignments with Mennonite Economic Development Associates and Mennonite Central Committee. During the 2015-16 academic year he was a Visiting Scholar at the Center for Communication Programs, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health.
A professor at EMU since 1995, he teaches in both the Department of Business and Economics and the Master of Business Administration program.
B.S. (agricultural economics), University of Illinois, 1985
M.S. (agricultural economics), University of Illinois, 1987
Ph.D. (economics), Iowa State University, 1995
- Gingrich, C.D., E. Ricotta, A. Kahawa, C. Kahabuka, and H. Koenker (2017) “Demand and Willingness-to-Pay for Bed Nets in Tanzania: Results from a Choice Experiment” Malaria Journal 16:285.
- Gingrich, C.D., R. Swartzentruber, and J.H. Kraybill (2016) “Religion and Fairness in the Ultimatum Game: Examining Mennonite Beliefs and Actions,” Journal of Religion and Business Ethics 3.
- Gingrich, C.D. (2013) Review of the book Trade Policy Disaster: Lessons from the 1930s by Douglas A. Irwin, Global Journal of Economics 2(2): 1380005.
- Gingrich, C.D., K. Hanson, V. Rweyendela, and T. Piper (2014) “Does Free Distribution of Mosquito Nets Affect Subsidized Net Sales? Evidence from a Nationwide Campaign in Tanzania,” The Journal of International Development 26(6):749-762
- Gingrich, C.D. and E.J. King (2012) “Does Fair Trade Fulfill the Claims of its Proponents? Measuring the Global Impact of Fair Trade on Participating Coffee Farmers,” Journal of Cooperatives 26:17-39.
- Gingrich, C.D., K. Hanson, T. Marchant, J. Mulligan, and H. Mponda (2011) “Price Subsidies and the Market for Mosquito Nets in Developing Countries: A Study of Tanzania’s Discount Voucher Scheme,” Social Science and Medicine 73(1):160-168.
- Gingrich, C.D., K. Hanson, T. Marchant, J. Mulligan, and H. Mponda (2011) “Household Demand for Insecticide Treated Bednets in Tanzania and Policy Options for Increasing Uptake,” Health Policy and Planning 26 (2):133-141.
- Gingrich, C.D. and J.D. Garber (2010) “Trade Liberalization’s Impact on Agriculture in Low Income Countries: A Comparison of El Salvador and Costa Rica,” Journal of Developing Areas 43(2):1-17.
- Dulal, H., C. Gingrich, and R. Stough (2008) “Do Microfinance Programmes Really Serve the Poor? Evidence from Rural Southeast Nepal,” Journal of South Asian Development 3(2): 253-68.
- Gingrich, C.D. (2004) “Community-Based Savings and Credit Cooperatives in Nepal: A Sustainable Means for Microfinance Delivery?” Journal of Microfinance 6(1): 21-39 .
- Gingrich, C.D. and P.W. Gallagher (2002) “Health Production and Heteroscedasticity in Low-Income Households in Lima, Peru,” in Behavior of Household Investment in Health: The Case of Peru, R. Cortez, ed., Lima: Universidad del Pacifico Press.
- Gingrich, C.D., C.D. Horst, and C.O. Umidha (2001) “Foreign Exchange, Food Security, and Financial Crises in Indonesia and the Philippines,” ASEAN Economic Bulletin 18(3): 305-19.
Scholarly Presentations and Abstracts
- “Estimating Bednet Demand in Tanzania using a Discrete Choice Experiment,” presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (poster session), 14 November, 2016, Atlanta, GA.
- “Measuring the Impact of Subsidized Bednets in Tanzania,” presented at the Fifth Multilateral Initiative on Malaria (MIM) Pan-African Malaria Conference, 6 November 2009, Nairobi, Kenya.
- “Household Demand Preferences for Insecticide Treated Nets in Tanzania,” paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Public Health Association, October 2009, San Diego, California.