Life-Shaping Cross-Culturals

July 17th, 2012 | 68 comments

Guatemala

Pat and Loren Swartzendruber (seated in second row, third and fourth from left, beside Jim and Ann Hershberger) connected with the Guatemala cross-cultural group in the spring of 2009.

Tim Swartzendruber ’95, one of Pat’s and my four children, recently recalled his cross-cultural with these words:

When I compare my seven semesters on EMU’s campus to my cross-cultural semester in France and Ivory Coast, it’s like comparing coffee to espresso – both are fantastic, but the latter is doubly intense and stimulating. The intellectual, spiritual, and social growth that I experienced on campus was even more pronounced during (and after) that one semester overseas.

My 27 classmates and I saw Anabaptist values modeled by French Mennonites, learned from our caring host families in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, delved into West African literature, culture, and religion, dramatically improved our French language skills, and laughed and cried together as we experienced varying degrees of culture shock. Two buddies from that group would eventually be groomsmen in my wedding, and several others also became life-long friends. I will always be grateful to Dr. Carroll and Nancy Yoder, our faculty leaders.

Now, living in the Washington D.C. area, I’m friends with alumni of well-known colleges who invariably say to me, “Man, I wish I had that kind of opportunity as a college student!” One of my greatest motivations in working as an EMU advancement officer is to provide a similar opportunity – a life-shaping gift, really – to future EMU students.

I can’t improve on Tim’s testimony, but I can provide a bit of background to it.

When EMU’s faculty voted in 1981 to require cross-cultural study for all undergraduates, they were venturing into uncharted waters. As far as anyone knew, EMU would be the first liberal arts college in North America with such a requirement.

The faculty and staff wondered how they would shuttle off-campus students through sequential courses, when the first level is typically offered in the fall and the second in the spring? And how would EMU’s sports teams be impacted?

Yet the faculty, led by academic dean Al Keim, held that a truly sound education requires us to recognize that we are members of a “global village” and need the insights and empathy necessary for our that village to be sustainable. Time has proven the validity of their bold initiative 30 years ago. When I talk to alumni today they tell me almost without fail that their cross-cultural was the most important part of their EMU experience.

I hope to see you at Homecoming and Parents Weekend in October when we will celebrate the 30th anniversary of our beloved cross-cultural programs.

Loren Swartzendruber
Class of ’76, MDiv ’79, DMin
President

68 Responses to "Life-Shaping Cross-Culturals"

1. Bonnie Price Lofton says:

A colleague & friend from Goshen College just let me know that Crossroads readers may be left with the impression that EMU pioneered cross-cultural study for undergrads in the United States.

Actually Goshen’s requirement that all students undertake “international education” (either on or off campus) predates by 14 years EMU’s program (requiring OFF-CAMPUS cross-cultural experiences).

As the editor of Crossroads and as an admirer of Goshen College, I tried to make this clear in the following footnote at the beginning of the article titled, “EMU Leads Way in Requiring Cross-Cultural Education.”

Here is the footnote:

“One of EMU’s sister institutions, Goshen College in Indiana, has an excellent study-service term in foreign locales that began in 1968, making it one of the earliest college-sponsored study-abroad programs in the United States. About 80 percent of Goshen’s students partake of the opportunity to spend 13 weeks with faculty members in places such as Cambodia, China, Egypt, Nicaragua, Peru, Senegal and Tanzania.”

I wish I had added that the 20 percent of Goshen’s students who do not study abroad ARE required to take classes pertaining to cross-cultural matters and international understanding. My apologies for not giving Goshen “credit where MUCH credit is due”!

2. Caberto says:

Your fresh children ended up absolutely triggered to read as a result of these people and after this include definitely recently been finding pleasure in this stuff.

3. Ethan Hunt says:

I am inviting my friends to come and Join me at this platform if they have any interest in playing card game without download. At this hearts card game online platform they will get extra excitement.

4. Mcfield says:

Nicely together with your permission allow me to to grab your own Rss and keep up to date using forthcoming article. Cheers any million as well as remember to sustain the particular rewarding work.

5. pabrik tas says:

I know for inviting my friend to come join playing game

konveksi tas

6. Nice topic i so fun with this join to my friend

konveksi tas

7. Wow i like to invite my friend to join playing in my grup
    pabrik tas

8. produksi tas says:

Nice to meet your article i like this moment in my story

konveksi tas

9. Harry James says:

I am still playing the Forza Horizon 3 because I think that it is way much better than its successor. I have read springbook and it was amazing. There is not a single racing game that is offering me such challenges and variations in a mode. This racing game is just incredible.

10. Sara says:

Nicely together with your permission allow me to to grab your own Rss and keep up to date using forthcoming article. Cheers any million as well as remember to sustain the particular rewarding work…

11. Brents says:

It’s excellent to encounter a weblog just about every from time to time that will isn’t identical expired rehashed substance. Great examine!

12. Jyliy Find says:

Good day to all! I’m getting married in 2 months, for the second time. My first woman screamed and swore at me a lot, and I made the difficult decision to get a divorce, sadly started going to a dating site.I recently found a russian brides and I do not know how I was so lucky with her, she is the best thing that ever happened, and I found her on a dating site, it helped me and my friends find love, I recommend this site to everyone!

13. Erica says:

Jane fonda hair wigs and haircuts are great versions ranging from very short to very long hair, from blond hair to redhead’s hair, and from black hair to white hair. A great celebrity who has been associated with many great movie sequences is always the first choice for many wig lovers and wig wearers

14. justins says:

15. Peter Nilson says:

Such a nice family! When my wife left me, I already thought that I would never have a woman in a serious relationship. I even thought at one time to try gay dating, it’s good that my friend advised me to register on the https://www.matchtrace.com/ service site on the Internet, and I didn’t become a fagot. So I recommend this site as there are many great chicks that will go on a date with you and start a family without any problems.

16. RileyKennedy Kennedy says:

WHAt is YT

17. Grey Morgan says:

Tell me, did you manage to find a soul mate in college?

18. Bill Shiphr says:

This is really interesting. Hmm, why do you think that you can find a soul mate in college? Probably it is possible but in general now there are different dating sites on which you can find your soul mate. For example, CooMeet Chat is a very good site. You can register there. There are many opportunities on the Internet now.

19. Peter Nilson says:

I am also new to this service, so that is why I decided that https://assignmaths.com/calculus-homework-help/ can be a good way for students. I am really bad in math and decided that this solution can be a perfect way for me because I am studying really bad and can overcome problems with math faster.

20. Mary Quinn says:

Educating the present mind generation requires more logic as compared to textual course.
    Your Reader From
    maryquinnlaw.com

21. Ned says:

I like multiculturalism in terms of racial diversity when I start looking through dating profiles. I recommend seeing great site with your own eyes. Online communication is quite easy, especially when you are attentive and polite with all the interlocutors. You can just leave if you don’t like something.

22. MyLowesLife says:

Thanks for sharing. I found a lot of interesting information here.

23. MyBalanceNow says:

Thanks to this article I can learn more. Expand my knowledge and abilities.

24. There are a lot of WellHello reviews these days. They are, however, all jumbled together and do not provide a full view of the platform. So let’s figure out what is WellHello.com? WellHello is a site for adult dating. It’s not just for singles looking to date online; it’s also for oddballs and couples who want to have a pleasant laugh and get banged with the like guys. Find out more in the article below.

25. ancal.in says:

Thanks for sharing suhc an informative post with us. Have a Look: Nagaland Pincode

26. king seo says:

When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your. Laser ontharen

27. king seo says:

It is extremely nice to see the greatest details presented in an easy and understanding manner. Warmtepomp installatie

28. life link says:

Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Tuinontwerp

29. mrseo mrseo says:

Well, this got me thinking what other workouts are good for those of us who find ourselves on the road or have limited equipment options. Zwembad tuin

30. king seo says:

Very useful post. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up. Laserontharing

31. king seo says:

I would recommend my profile is important to me, I invite you to discuss this topic… Airco

32. king seo says:

I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you! Zwembad bouwen tuin

33. life link says:

Three are usually cheap Ralph Lauren available for sale each and every time you wish to buy. Airco installatie

34. life link says:

This is very educational content and written well for a change. It’s nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post! Zwembad tuin

35. mrseo mrseo says:

Wonderful illustrated information. I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject! Zonnepanelen Solarwatt

36. nicolhill says:

A working environment sentiment has a definitely more awful standing than dating one’s companion. Be that as it may, you invest a lot of energy at work, getting to meet individuals who have similar expert characteristics and singles over 40 fields of interests. It merits intently taking a gander at the male associates, making contacts, and let individuals know that you wouldn’t fret beginning connections. You won’t need to leave your usual range of familiarity, think about another action, and so on Simply act naturally and allow an opportunity to your environmental elements.

37. Jack Sparrow says:

Interesting blog contents. Thanks for taking time in posting such an quality contents with us. visit: Top 5 Best Baby Walker With Price to Buy

38. Ben Persey says:

Looking for putting your luck to the test? Try playing online gambling in Hfive5. You would get complete entertainment with https://www.winningagent.com/forums/users/brent67/ many numbers of casino gaming facilities available. This is a great opportunity for getting more convenient gaming accessibility in a secure destination.

39. Terry Brown says:

This information is perfect which is helpful for us, and we should share such kind of knowledge so that every person can increase his ability. https://specialessays.com/write-my-discussion-board-post/

40. I learned very important information for my homework. Thank you.

41. Anahtar kelime araştırması – Anahtar kelime araştırması genellikle SEO için başlangıç ​​noktasıdır ve bir sitenin halihazırda hangi anahtar kelimeler için sıralandığına, rakiplerin hangi anahtar kelimeleri sıraladığına ve potansiyel müşterilerin başka hangi anahtar kelimeleri aradığına bakmayı içerir. Arama yapanların Google aramalarında ve diğer arama motorlarında kullandıkları terimlerin belirlenmesi, mevcut içeriğin optimize edilebileceği ve hangi yeni içeriğin oluşturulabileceği konusunda yön verir.

Kaynak : https://www.muhasebegonulluleri.com/seo-analiz-google-siralama-yarismasi-bol-odullu-yarisma/

42. Masaj genellikle ödem sürecinin hızla azaltılması için önerilse de bazen ufak tefek çıkıntı ve eğriliklerin düzeltilmesi amacı ile de uygulanabilir. İyileşme aşamasının devam ettiği ilk altı aylık süreçte masaj uygulaması etkili olur.

43. Timothy Miller says:

Good article! I also remember our wonderful university when I think of my student years. I remember not being able to decide how many words to write in an essay, but thank God I found an article about how long does it take to write an essay and finally decided how many pages and words I need!

44. SEO Analiz Google Sıralama Yarışması için seo rehber adına paylaşımlar sağlanmaktadır. Güncel backlink kaynaklarına sitemizden ulaşabilirsiniz.

45. […] nicely as fee course of, is protected. You can become a member of and go to the location https://bestdatingsitesforover40.org/ without paying a dime. Some businesses allow it to send winks and introductory information to […]

46. […] couples and assist get acquainted with each other better before a proper assembly. Oriental mail https://emu.edu/now/crossroads/2012/07/17/life-shaping-cross-culturals/#comment-265203 order brides to be are thought of essentially the most helpful and hardworking. Asian brides’ […]

47. Anonymous says:

You may find out the searching keywords which are related to your web contents. Those may be the sample keywords for using in your site. best beginners seo guide at TopSeoTut.com

48. foodle says:

Very excellent and informative content. I was hunting for this type of material and thoroughly loved reading it.

49. Tas Seminar says:

Is there a guarantee that it will continue to work well in the future?

50. Alex Real says:

51. Joseph Whitaker says:

Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. gogo anime

52. این کازینوهای دارای مجوز شرایط منصفانه و پرداخت های سریع را همراه با نمایندگان خدمات مشتری دوستانه و آگاه ارائه می دهند. بنابراین شناسایی سایت شرط بندی خارجی که هم معتبر باشد و هم لایسنس داشته باشد بسیار مهم است سایت های دیجی بت . وان ایکس بت بت۳۶۵ و … که در ادامه توضیح میدهیم همگی یک سایت شرط بندی معتبر خارجی به شماره میروند

53. امکانات این سایت به دلیل فارسی و ایرانی بودن بسیار کاربر پسند تر از سایت های خارجی زبان است و نحوه استفاده از سایت شرط بندی ایرانی نیز میتواند برای کاربران درون کشور بسیار ساده تر باشد.

54. طبق آمار، اپلیکیشن های تخته نرد موبایل هات بت یا hotbet از پهنای باند اینترنت کمتری استفاده می کنند زیرا نیازی به بارگذاری تخته نرد شرطی تمام صفحات یک سایت شرط بندی ندارند.

55. در نهایت روی یک عدد توقف میکنه ، شما باید حدود توقف عدد رو در پنل شرط بندی قبل از شروع راند مشخص کنید و در نهایت با توجه به موقعیت آموزش بازی مونتی توقف چرخنده بازی مونتی برد و باخت شما مشخص میشود.

56. peter shawn says:

Great article! All the articles you have, they enjoy reading and learning a lot. Your article is very helpful for me. I hope you will continue to write such good articles as well. Halloween Hoodie

57. milkyway says:

Цікава інформація тут в блозі.

58. kv herrin says:

I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you!

59. usama sami says:

I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you! sexanzeiger

60. usama sami says:

I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you! sklavin kaufen

61. ahmedsyed says:

I ‘d mention that most of us visitors are really endowed to exist in a fabulous place with very many wonderful individuals with very helpful things.

62. usama sami says:

I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you! osna sex

63. usama sami says:

I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you! junge ladies chat

64. spin235 says:

This is a nice information i found today on internet. Much appreciate for writer.
    Thank you for sharing this with us. spin235

65. Tancap4d says:

More content like this please.
    First i want to say thankyou for the writer. I’d love more educational content.
    tancap4d

66. Very useful post. This is my first time i visit here. Good blog

67. GG178 says:

Much appreciate for the writer. Now i know some about cross cultural. Keep me updated please. Good education sites.
    gg178

68. Lillian C. Powers says:

I totally like your gave limits as the post you passed on has some uncommon information which is totally essential for me. A commitment of appreciation is all together for the data. I will endeavor to figure it out for extra. LTD Commodities LLC