Ken J. Nafziger: Making Music with Appreciative Cubans

July 12th, 2012 | 66 comments

Ken Nafziger

Ken Nafziger was music editor for this 1992-issued hymnal. Photograph courtesy of emu archives.

When President Bill Clinton cracked a window open to Cuba, permitting scholars to apply for education-centered travel permits to Cuba from 1999 to 2003, EMU music professor Ken J. Nafziger seized the opportunity

He brushed off warnings on the U.S. State Department’s website about the possibility of “intense physical and electronic surveillance,” which “may involve detention and interrogation of both Cuban citizens and foreign visitors” and happily made 11 trips to Cuba in just four years, before President George W. Bush closed the window again. (President Obama re-opened it in early 2011.)

Nafziger was indeed “interrogated,” but not by the likes of the secret police, but by talented Cuban musicians eager to collaborate with, teach, and learn from musical artists like Nafziger.

“In my trips to Cuba, when the people sang, played, and listened, I heard an intensity that communicated that they needed singing for the survival of their souls,” recalls Nafziger. He sensed a spiritual depth in Cuba that, ironically, often seems lacking in its far-richer neighbor to the north.

Nafziger’s work in Cuba included major guest conducting appearances with the country’s leading orchestras and choirs, teaching master classes in a variety of musical topics, and participating with musical colleagues in a number of joint projects. In 2001, Nafziger featured Cuban music at his annual Shenandoah Valley Bach Festival. In 2003, he led to Cuba the EMU Chamber Singers, along with a member of the renowned gospel group “Sweet Honey in the Rock,” Ysaye Maria Barnwell.

Long before his forays to Cuba, it was clear that Nafziger was passionate about four things: music, language, travel, and perhaps most of all . . . matters of the spirit, and how the spirit is fed by music-centered worship that unites diverse peoples.

Nafziger began teaching as a music professor at EMU in the fall of 1977. A graduate of Goshen College in Indiana, Nafziger arrived with a doctorate of music from the University of Oregon.

There was a lot of excitement about the cross-cultural program around the time that Ken began teaching at EMU. Nafziger led a group to Poland on his first cross-cultural trip in 1980.

“It was around the time when the Soviet Union was about to collapse and it was a really exciting time to be there,” says Nafziger. “My trips to Poland stand out to me because of the way that the Polish people used art and music. There were so many things that were denied to them—they really enjoyed art and music. It was so significant because they had so little.”

Before teaching at EMU Nafziger had spent time working under a German conductor of music.

“From the years that I lived in Germany, the thing that was most rewarding was being able to converse in German,” recalls Nafziger. As a result, Nafizger-led trips have put much emphasis on learning the language of the host country.

Nafziger led two other cross-cultural trips to Munich, Germany, in 1985 and 1990. “On all of my trips, the students have been very different from each other, but through their experiences they really came together.”

In addition to the designated cross-culturals, Nafziger has conducted choral and orchestral programs in various places, including Canada, Germany, Poland, and the Soviet Union. “All of my trips have been exciting,” says Nafziger, who is married to Helen, MA ’00 (in counseling), retired director of EMU’s career services. “Whether it was language instruction, history, filmmaking, or music, the people were amazing and they really wanted us to experience their culture.”

Asked to articulate the value he places on EMU’s cross-cultural program, he points to the changes he sees in students. “It makes people different and re-creates them in new ways,” he says. “I am astonished the way I am so moved after every trip by what the students have to say when they return. I find myself listening to them with tears running down my face. It truly is an amazing program to be a part of.”

Ken and Helen have three children, Jeremy ’91, Kristen (Parmer) ’93 and Zachary ’01, all of them well-traveled and involved in the arts—doing writing, visual art, graphic design, and/or church music.

—Rachael Keshishian & Bonnie Price Lofton

66 Responses to "Ken J. Nafziger: Making Music with Appreciative Cubans"

1. BestMamie says:

I see you don’t monetize emu.edu, don’t waste your traffic,
    you can earn extra cash every month with new monetization method.
    This is the best adsense alternative for any type of website (they approve all websites),
    for more details simply search in gooogle: murgrabia’s tools

2. starjack io says:

It was a really exciting time to be there.

3. Galam says:

We are inquisitive to determine what exactly website technique you’re making use of?

4. Katherine Winnick says:

It surprised me when Ken J. Nafziger did a bunch of visits to Cuba within the time frame of four years. He is a true music legend according to my point of view. Like me, many people have written essays on Ken J. Nafziger with the assistance writers whos reviews I read on https://edubirdie.org/edubirdie-review-the-most-honest-and-reliable website because it is the best thing about them that they share true reviews.

5. Tired of everlasting time-killing assignments? Read more about the service that will be your lifesaver.

6. Radcliff says:

Maintain the incredible work !! Lovin’ it!

7. Qweetly.com says:

This website contains numerous free samples of academic writings. Everyone can use them for free to create their own assignments and get the highest grades.

8. Hison says:

cool

9. Gaven Rank says:

In fact, you need to understand that writing a good essay is not easy, but you just need to contact professionals and they will really help and advise on how to write this essay. It is not as difficult as it may seem, so be sure to look for yourself, I hope that somehow I can help with this, you can look here https://writemypaper4me.org/blog/scholarship-essay-writing-tips very specific recommendations for writing a good essay. I hope it will be useful for every schoolchild and student, as it was useful for me too. So be sure to get acquainted with it. Good luck!

10. allanposhel says:

I made a presentation about him, a very interesting person. He does a good job, and as a person he is good. However, I did not make a good presentation, I had to redo the pitch deck slides. It is good that I did not do it myself, that is what saved me. The guys worked quickly, I can calmly advise.

11. Lissa25 says:

Wonderful mix Tracey…I really enjoy how you started off the program with the right cuts to get my groove on…it’s perfect 👌 especially when I wake up and have my first cup of Java and my cigg… I’m literally working on a music app I want to see how you tackle that bottom view thought of implementing it but seemed to hard. Some article really helpful for create music app.

12. Monika Jacob says:

Regardless of politics, no powerful country has the right to impose any kind of sanctions on a weak country. We have to think beyond caste and only for the welfare of humanity like experts at https://www.affordable-dissertation.co.uk are always ready to help all the students around the world.

13. Sara Robinson says:

When you do business with us, we make sure your high quality paper is ready on time, no matter what! It was great to see the expression on my teacher’s face when she returned my work with a big red A after reading the article Facts Related to Education in Different Countries – Scoopify

14. Taylor says:

yyhnjyujujuj anchor

15. Alexandra Trevino says:

If you need help with writing homework – contact us https://order-essays.com/buy-case-brief-writing/

16. Tombrownn1975 says:

Hey people! If some of you really need some help with essay and homewrok! Dont be shy adn just check this out! Go for https://www.personalstatementwritingservices.net/ it and you will see! Enjoy and have a nice day!

17. Ken, thank you for the brilliant article!

18. life link says:

Wow what a Great Information about World Day its exceptionally pleasant educational post. a debt of gratitude is in order for the post. Zonnepanelen As

19. life link says:

I’ve been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven’t had any luck up until this point, You just got a new biggest fan!.. Zonnepanelen Kasterlee

20. life link says:

Thank you for helping people get the information they need. Great stuff as usual. Keep up the great work!!! Zonnepanelen Bilzen

21. life link says:

This is very educational content and written well for a change. It’s nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post! Zonnepanelen Kontich

22. life link says:

Cool you write, the information is very good and interesting, I’ll give you a link to my site. Zonnepanelen Bocholt

23. life link says:

I see some amazingly important and kept up to length of your strength searching for in your on the site Zonnepanelen Borgloon

24. life link says:

This is very educational content and written well for a change. It’s nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post! Zonnepanelen Lier

25. life link says:

There’s no doubt i would fully rate it after i read what is the idea about this article. You did a nice job.. Zonnepanelen Bree

26. life link says:

Thanks for providing recent updates regarding the concern, I look forward to read more. Zonnepanelen Lille

27. life link says:

You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant! Zonnepanelen Beringen

28. life link says:

It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commentators here! Zonnepanelen Lint

29. life link says:

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work! Zonnepanelen Diepenbeek

30. life link says:

cool you write, the information is very good and interesting, I’ll give you a link to my site. Zonnepanelen Londerzeel

31. life link says:

I see some amazingly important and kept up to length of your strength searching for in your on the site Zonnepanelen Dilsen-Stokkem

32. life link says:

I adore your websites way of raising the awareness on your readers. Zonnepanelen Malle

33. life link says:

I wish more writers of this sort of substance would take the time you did to explore and compose so well. I am exceptionally awed with your vision and knowledge. Zonnepanelen Gingelom

34. life link says:

It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commentators here! Zonnepanelen Mechelen

35. life link says:

I think about it is most required for making more on this get engaged Zonnepanelen Ham

36. life link says:

You completely match our expectation and the variety of our information. Zonnepanelen Meerhout

37. life link says:

Just pure brilliance from you here. I have never expected something less than this from you and you have not disappointed me at all. I suppose you will keep the quality work going on. Zonnepanelen Niel

38. life link says:

Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot. Zonnepanelen Achel

39. life link says:

Thumbs up guys your doing a really good job. Zonnepanelen Merksplas

40. life link says:

With so many books and articles coming up to give gateway to make-money-online field and confusing reader even more on the actual way of earning money, Zonnepanelen Hechtel

41. life link says:

Your content is nothing short of brilliant in many ways. I think this is engaging and eye-opening material. Thank you so much for caring about your content and your readers. Zonnepanelen Mol

42. life link says:

You completed a number of nice points there. I did a search on the issue and found nearly all people will have the same opinion with your blog. Zonnepanelen Halen

43. life link says:

this blog was really great, never seen a great blog like this before. i think im gonna share this to my friends.. Zonnepanelen Mortsel

44. life link says:

This is very educational content and written well for a change. It’s nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post! Prijs zonnepanelen

45. life link says:

I don t have the time at the moment to fully read your site but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site. Zonnepanelen Nijlen

46. Digital work says:

I have seen some great stuff here. Worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website. Your work is truly appreciated around the clock and the globe. matka result

47. Digital work says:

I have seen some great stuff here. Worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website. Your work is truly appreciated around the clock and the globe. กันแดด

48. Digital work says:

I am continually amazed by the amount of information available on this subject. What you presented was well researched and well worded in order to get your stand on this across to all your readers. https://ritzz.net/

49. Chat says:

İnterneti aktif olarak kullanan kişiler artık çok şanlı. Çünkü onlar için özel olarak oluşturulmuş arkadaşlık siteleri sayesinde yalnız kalma sorunu ortadan kalkıyor. Chat odaları sayesinde aradığınız aşkı kısa sürede bulacak belki de evlilikle sonuçlandıracaksınız. Çok sayıda kişi evlenmek için çok çaba harcamaktadır, ancak bir türlü doğru kişiyi bulamadıkları için mutlu sona ulaşamazlar. Arkadaşlık sitemiz size doğru kişiyi bulmanız için bir fırsat sunuyor. Dürüst arkadaşlıklar, evlenmeye yönelik adımlar ve yeni dostluklara ihtiyacınız varsa en doğru adrestesiniz. Evlilik en kutsal adımların başında gelir doğru insanı bulabilmek için sizin de adımlar atmanız gerekir. Sitemizde bulunan erkek ve kadınların özelliklerine bakarak kendinize en uygun kişiyi hemen bulursunuz.

Referans : https://www.simarik.net/

50. Yavaş bir web sitesine sahip olmak, SEO stratejinizi sabote edebilecek hatalardan biridir.

51. Digital work says:

No idea about dark red gemstone jewelry? No worry, In this article, we will give you a proper buying guide related to red gemstone jewelry. Dark Red Gemstone’s Jewelry For Men And Women

52. Digital work says:

Your blog is too much amazing. I have found with ease what I was looking. Moreover, the content quality is awesome. Thanks for the nudge! baby and pregnancy advice website

53. Digital_Work says:

You delivered such an impressive piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain information. Thanks for sharing such information with us due to which my several concepts have been cleared. video game tips and tricks website

54. Ücretsiz bayan kız numaraları whatsap grupları

55. Steven Sanders says:

We can also use his songs to make ringtones for mobile. Lie the ringtones at Dzwoneknatelefon.

56. Türkiye ve Avrupa’nın en iyi kameralı sohbet odalarına sizlerde katılmak ister misiniz? o halde hemen aramıza katılabilirsiniz.

57. cbd oil says:

Thank you for letting me know. In fact, thank you for a little digression into history and fascinating moments from it. It seems to me that it is high time for us to start reading and learning more about the world in which we live. Stories like this one will be just such an example for us. Thanks again for bringing up such an important topic.

58. Sarıgazi Çilingir nöbetçi çilingir ekipleriyle 7/24 en uygun fiyatlı hizmeti vermektedir. Kilit değişimi, çelik kapı tamiri, kale kilit servisi. #sarıgaziçilingir #sarıgazicilingirci https://www.facebook.com/sarigazicilingir/

59. Zbuzz says:

Liebe and chemo about welche chemo ist am sclimmsten welche chemo ist am sclimmsten danke about this!

60. Things to do says:

have a large popularity and influence. The most famous people can present at many hot charts in the world with professional standards.Let’s see them at here.

61. Gary SEO says:

dxsa

62. Jason Adams says:

Aside from winning cash prizes, one can also have a good time and have fun at the casino. Aside from gambling, casinos offer other amenities, including fine dining and entertainment. You can visit a live casino in your area, or play online from home. Either way, you will have a great time! And you’ll also be contributing to the local economy! It’s worth the effort to visit a real wild tornado casino online at least once!