Tag Archives: 90th anniversary

1960-1990: Adding Beauty to Function

Drawing on campus lawn In 1960, after two years of discussion, EMC opened a seminary under the leadership of Chester K. Lehman (whose son Robert later played a role in making EMC a leader in energy conservation). It was housed in a government-surplus structure that had belonged to the Civilian Conservation Corps. The seminary walked ...More

1920-1941: Barn Raising

In January 1920, students scrubbed windows and floors and moved into the new facility at the base of the hill, walking in shoe-deep mud carrying items from the old hotel. The new building eventually would be known as the “Administration – or ‘Ad’ – Building.” It was a strictly functional, stucco-covered “cracker box” rising four ...More