Accounting Majors Excel by National Standards

May 14th, 2013 | 77 comments

EMU accounting faculty: Marilla Melcher, Ronald Stoltzfus ’75, Leah Kratz ’00

EMU’s accounting students rank No. 2 in the state, behind the University of Virginia, for first-time pass rate on all sections of the Certified Public Accountant Exam, according to the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA).

EMU’s candidates passed the sections at a 72.2 percent rate, according to the 2011 NASBA Data and Trends Report, issued in 2012. The University of Virginia (UVa) had an 84.7 percent pass rate in the category of candidates without an advanced degree.

Close behind EMU were the students of James Madison University, with a 70.2 percent pass rate, and the University of Richmond with a 68.8 percent pass rate. Nationally, first-time candidates pass the sections at 49.8 percent. The average pass rate for all bachelor-degree-holding students in Virginia was 53.9 percent.

NASBA also reported that EMU ranks 18th in the nation in the “Very Small” category. This category includes 239 institutions with five to nine candidates taking the exam.

The accounting program at EMU is headed by Ronald L. Stoltzfus ’75, who holds a PhD in accounting and is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). He has overseen the program since 1984. Other faculty members teaching accounting are Leah Kratz, a 2000 EMU grad who holds a CPA and MBA, and Marilla Melcher, with a CPA and an MS in accounting.

“The five graduates from EMU who took this exam in 2011 were a small group of test-takers compared to the test-groups of accounting graduates from much-larger universities in the state, such as Virginia Tech, James Madison, and William & Mary,” noted Stoltzfus. “But I don’t think our size diminishes our achievement. In fact, it may point to the advantages of the one-on-one attention that our students get.”

In a mark of accomplishment in 2012, a four-student EMU team competed against accounting teams from university programs around the United States in a contest sponsored by the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA). EMU made it into the final round of 20, from which three winners were chosen. AICPA judges ranked the EMU team, along with the other finalists, on its ability to present solutions in 1,000 words or less to the difficulties this nation faces with Social Security, the national deficit and taxes.

In the fall of 2010, EMU accounting majors also proved themselves in a regional competition. The EMU team tied for fourth place in the final round of competition with a team from UVa in the ninth annual Goodman & Company Accounting Challenge.

The team was one of 33 teams from colleges and universities from Virginia and Maryland. To advance to the final round, the EMU team completed two sets of grueling six-hour business exams. Another team from UVa finished first in the contest, followed by teams from William & Mary and James Madison.

To become licensed as a CPA, state licensing bodies typically require 150 hours of coursework. EMU graduates aiming for a CPA typically gain this coursework by enrolling in a master’s program. Over the last 10 years, their favorite next step has been James Madison University’s highly ranked MS program in accounting, but some students have enrolled in similar programs at Virginia Commonwealth University, the University of Notre Dame and Indiana University-South Bend, among others.  — Bonnie Price Lofton, MA ’04

77 Responses to "Accounting Majors Excel by National Standards"

1. Homepage says:

Your suggest information is really fantastic and am appreciate this sharing. your system is not supported in wireless display then go to try this given site and get easy solution in this trouble.

2. Your sharing is great. I am they are a lot of things from your article.

3. Jana says:

Windows is the mostly used operating system all over the world and Microsoft has been launched a fully packed updated windows 10 with many updates and new features. Here we will be discussing the different ways to fix Bluetooth and wireless devices connection issues. Introducing windows 10 with new features sometimes stuck in making wireless connections and there can be any of the listed causes which can be easily accessible and fixed with the given solutions.

4. molly says:

5. jeny says:

This is really amazing for everyone

6. moon says:

Okay first off—i am now hungry looking at this! The beef brisket looks SO delicious! And second, I have never made it before but now i am motivated to give it a go FOR SURE! This makes me excited to do a summer bbq with friends!local classifieds

7. new book says:

8. Hello, This cake looks really good. I enjoy bundt cakes too. This resembles among those cakes that everybody will love. Thank you for sharing such a delicious recipe. I love pumpkin.

9. Rashguard says:

Bead jewelry is always an ice breaker and conversation starter every where they are worn. The comment about the bracelet from a stranger can always be reciprocated with dialog about where the bracelet came from and what it represents! I love your comment on the website “The Healthy Voyager aims to help people live well, one veggie at a time!” My husband and I have been striving to live healthy our whole lives “one veggie at a time”. My father who lived in good health unitl 95 said he filled his plate with 3/4 veggies then 1/4 of every thing else!

10. SEO says:

How to fix connections to bluetooth audio devices and wireless displays in windows 10,there are more option and ways to connected wireless audio,so that here the simple common method available and provide the full guide you solution.

11. Shiza says:

Cannabis Crop Insurance

12. lisa says:

yoga shorts hawaii

13. lisa says:

Bead jewelry is always an ice breaker and conversation starter every where they are worn. The comment about the bracelet from a stranger can always be reciprocated with dialog about where the bracelet came from and what it represents! I love your comment on the website “The Healthy Voyager aims to help people live well, one veggie at a time!” My husband and I have been striving to live healthy our whole lives “one veggie at a time”. My father who lived in good health unitl 95 said he filled his plate with 3/4 veggies then 1/4 of every thing else!jeftine avio karte

14. tuky says:

I have been for a very long time. I really appreciate how simple you try to keep things when it comes to explaining the who what and why of blogging. Sometimes reading other blogs is just so overwhelming that I just end up moving on. I do appreciate your openness to sharing your income and understand your feeling that you might be speaking over some of us. But why not mix it up a bit? Go ahead and tell us where you are at (it is then a wanna get there goal for newbies), and a this is what I did (past goal/accomplished), and then a this is what I want to do next ! I’ll be following no matter what!fussball wetten

15. lisa says:

Here we will be discussing the different ways to fix Bluetooth and wireless devices connection issues. Introducing windows 10 with new features sometimes stuck in making wireless connections and there can be any of the listed causes which can be easily accessible and fixed with the given solutions.
    general store

16. lisa says:

I have been for a very long time. I really appreciate how simple you try to keep things when it comes to explaining the who what and why of blogging. Sometimes reading other blogs is just so overwhelming that I just end up moving on. I do appreciate your openness to sharing your income and understand your feeling that you might be speaking over some of us. But why not mix it up a bit? Go ahead and tell us where you are at (it is then a wanna get there goal for newbies), and a this is what I did (past goal/accomplished), and then a this is what I want to do next ! I’ll be following no matter what.Tent rental

17. lisa says:

I’ve recently remarked on these pages about the seemingly boundless propensity of some on that side of the pond to throw commas around like confetti; and the injurious effect this can have on diction.Tent rental

18. tuky says:

You can find cheap flights and airline tickets. Google Flights helps you compare and track airfares on hundreds of airlines to help you find the best flight deals.yoga shorts

19. king says:

So experience is a decent measure since then you realize that the land intermediary hasn’t done anything so terrible as to toss them bankrupt. A decent land dealer won’t act similarly as the sales representative for the vender (from whom the land intermediary is because of get commission/charge when the arrangement emerges) however will likewise pay notice to the necessities of the purchaser.captain cook snorkeling tour

20. emma says:

No wait for downloading free mozilla forefox web browser as this browser is of latest technology having advanced feature which are also safe and secure to use. You can maintain privacy to your work too and this browser provides exacts results within few minutes.Website Design

21. carry says:

Hello, Windows is the mostly used operating system all over the world and Microsoft has been launched a fully packed updated windows 10 with many updates and new features. Here we will be discussing the different ways to fix Bluetooth and wireless devices connection issues. Introducing windows 10 with new features sometimes stuck in making wireless connections and there can be any of the listed causes which can be easily accessible and fixed with the given solutions.Trasplante de pelo turquia

22. carry says:

Hello, Windows is the mostly used operating system all over the world and Microsoft has been launched a fully packed updated windows 10 with many updates and new features. Here we will be discussing the different ways to fix Bluetooth and wireless devices connection issues. Introducing windows 10 with new features sometimes stuck in making wireless connections and there can be any of the listed causes which can be easily accessible and fixed with the given solutions.Watches

23. lisa says:

I just bought tickets for an August Lamplighters performance of Pinafore. (We’ve seen The Mikado and The Pirates of Penzance in previous years.) There were discounts for kids, students, and seniors, as you’d expect, but also a substantial one for adults under 35. I presume they’ve looked at the demographics and want to develop a younger audience to replace their current, rapidly aging one.Restroom

24. lisa says:

This totally disgusts me, and the world is silent. All SA whites need to cut their losses & FLEE. NOW!anboxing

25. lisa says:

During the searching healthy diet plane, I reach your post. I know A paleo diet consists of fruits, vegetables, lean meats & seafood, nuts, and healthy fats while avoiding dairy, grains, processed foods & sugars, legumes, starches. I saving your plane menu.

26. emma says:

So experience is a decent measure since then you realize that the land intermediary hasn’t done anything so terrible as to toss them bankrupt. A decent land dealer won’t act similarly as the sales representative for the vender (from whom the land intermediary is because of get commission/charge when the arrangement emerges) however will likewise pay notice to the necessities of the purchaser.

27. joon says:

Hello, Thank you for sharing the gift of salvation – and the plan to receive it. I need to do that much more with my blogging! Praising the Lord for my salvation!Colours That Go With Grey

28. carry says:

No peppermint bark on hand, but I just discovered an open bag of white chocolate chips in the cupboard. Maybe I could throw those in with a few mints or candy canes to get the same effect?

29. jack says:

We pride our providing the most efficient, brilliant Do My Assignment Cheap service in the business, as seen in our diverse portfolio. College and university students now have the liberty to select a writer of their choice and communicate all their custom requirements with ease. A quality paper for submission is all guaranteed.santa ana boulevard

30. jack says:

No wait for downloading free mozilla forefox web browser as this browser is of latest technology having advanced feature which are also safe and secure to use. You can maintain privacy to your work too and this browser provides exacts results within few minutes.santa ana boulevard

31. carry says:

“The five graduates from EMU who took this exam in 2011 were a small group of test-takers compared to the test-groups of accounting graduates from much-larger universities in the state, such as Virginia Tech, James Madison, and William & Mary,” noted Stoltzfus. “But I don’t think our size diminishes our achievement. In fact, it may point to the advantages of the one-on-one attention that our students get.”El Gregal Curridabat

32. carry says:

Have you ever heard of Pesole before? I had heard of it, but didn’t really know what it was. I knew it as a Mexican soup with hominy in it. But I also didn’t really know what hominy was. Apparently I am a sheltered food blogger.El Gregal Curridabat

33. carry says:

How to fix connections to bluetooth audio devices and wireless displays in windows 10,there are more option and ways to connected wireless audio,so that here the simple common method available and provide the full guide you solution.custom paint by numbers

34. carry says:

I’ve been very stressed about wanting to put curtains on my windows recently, and I really didnt want to but because of the summer sun i just had to put something up. your blog just figured out what to do about those curtains for me.custom paint by numbers

35. lisa says:

These are great pics! We are looking in buying an Oliver and wondered what you tow yours with. Have you gotten very much use out of it? Any regrets? Any insight would be so helpful

36. lisa says:

I know A paleo diet consists of fruits, vegetables, lean meats & seafood, nuts, and healthy fats while avoiding dairy, grains, processed foods & sugars, legumes, starches. I saving your plane menu.lisa

37. IBM says:

I’m going to write about my court drama at some point. Utter ridiculousness that I was forced in that direction. Starting small is exactly the way to go E.M. One property at a time and one that is definitely affordable. I’ve known people who have rented out their basements. I don’t know if I could do that…I’d prefer a bit of distance between myself and the tenants.

38. IBM says:

I just had this conversation with my kids. We are packing and packing up the games and decluttering and I found this great but loud game in my daughter’s room and I asked her if we could pass it on. “No way Mom, said my youngest girl. I still love that one.

39. lisa says:

I just had this conversation with my kids. We are packing and packing up the games and decluttering and I found this great but loud game in my daughter’s room and I asked her if we could pass it on. “No way Mom, said my youngest girl. I still love that one.”best automatic kitchen trash cans

40. Tesisat says:

Su tesisat ile ilgili konularda destek alabilirsiniz. Detaylar için: https://www.tesisatci.gen.tr/

41. German says:

nice website

42. lisa says:

You can find cheap flights and airline tickets. Google Flights helps you compare and track airfares on hundreds of airlines to help you find the best flight deals.Lisa

43. lisa says:

Everything like electricity, heating, TV, WiFi, washing machine/dryer, water, taxes, common fees are included. Just send us details which kind of apartment you are looking for e.g how many bedrooms, which district, renting period … and we will find the perfect place for you. Just fill out the contact form next to the listed apartment. For more visit budapest

44. lisa says:

We like to drive the boat to deserted beaches and enjoy picnics and playing in the sand. The cold water scares most boaters away (and the lake is surrounded by national forest, so no houses directly on the lake), so often we are the only ones out there! There are some warmer reservoirs in southern Colorado that are better for swimming and not quite.
    Lisa

45. su arıtma says:

Hi! Thanks for this nice post. I’m waiting for more. I’m looking for something more and totally unique than most blogs su arıtma

46. expert says:

I agree that we can protect our investment with specially designed and seismic rated wine storage systems. Here is the website that will be beneficial for all those who wants to keep their prized wine collection safely in case an earthquake occurs once again.temple of the tooth relic

47. lisa says:

48. lisa says:

Here is the website that will be beneficial for all those who wants to keep their prized wine collection safely in case an earthquake occurs once again.Get Sober With Therapy & A Chaperon

49. lisa says:

I have been absent for a while, but now I remember why I used to love this site. Thanks , I’ll try and check back more often. How frequently you update your website. Lawn Mowers

50. ioanna.mann says:

Hello, you did a great job. I will definitely dig it up and in my opinion recommend it to my friends. I am sure they will benefit from this site. สล็อต ebet

51. I don’t think my previous comment went through, but I just wanted to say that it’s good work!!!! Automated document conversion software

52. thank you for sharing. Its very informative.

53. rona_lee says:

Thanks for the points you have shared here. Keep iy up! สล็อต

54. emma says:

Everything know about CPA Directly From AICPA & NASBA. Thanks dear Education providing this Session. CPA Aspirants Don`t Miss this post
    ornaments

55. zack smith says:

Tradesmarter is one of the oldest binary options trading platform and is regulated as well.pet magpie

56. Anna says:

But can any one let me know how can i register from India or institutes in India and is there any exemption in exams in case the candidate has completed Chartered Accountancy course in India.
    Fabrication

57. lisa says:

Thank you quite much for discussing this type of helpful informative article. Will certainly stored and reevaluate your Website.best crossbow

58. lisa says:

Thanks for this useful post. such a wonderfull article on blog commenting website.Best Monster Truck Show

59. lisa says:

Nice post! Well written !! I have got the best insights regarding. I look forward to reading many more informative posts similar to this. Thanks for the update.Host Regions LTD

60. lisa says:

It was really an educational read for me, you have illustrated it very positively and I am going to follow what you have said. thanks. These site is wonderful and I appreciate the way you take time to write quality content it’s amazing thumbs up.WitneyCouriers

61. ornaments says:

the way you explain each and everything so clearly with examples is so wonderful that its really making me to watch more on accounting to enrich my knowledge. Wonderful!!

62. […] tons of comments on your articles.I guess I am not only one having all the enjoyment right here! Dog This is my first time visit here. From the tons of comments on your articles.I guess I am not only […]