The first art exhibit of the fall semester will feature recent ceramics by Gregg Luginbuhl from Bluffton (OH) University.
Luginbuhl is professor of art and chair of the art department at Bluffton, where he teaches ceramics, sculpture, 3-D design and photography.
The exhibit will open Sunday, Sept. 5, with a reception for the artist 2:30-4 p.m. in the gallery on third floor of EMU’s Hartzler Library.
The mix of sculptural forms to be displayed embraces a variety of approaches to the ceramic process: raku fired wall sculpture and free-standing forms, soda fired stoneware and porcelain vessels and cone 10 fired functional porcelain and stoneware.
Included in the show are wall plate sculptures which begin from a low wheel-thrown plate. Evolving from the energy of the potters’ whorl, clay slabs, textural stampings, coils, lattice, and graphic elements are added to the rim of the plates to create an ephemeral combination of form, color, texture, and movement. The titles of these works "are intended to evoke a variety of poetic associations and questions," Luginbuhl said.
Detail from "Farm Bureau," polychrome earthenware Photo Credit: Jerry Anthony
At 7 p.m. that day, Luginbuhl will give the C. Henry Smith Peace Lecture, "Mennonite College and University Artists Depict Peace," in room 123 of the seminary building at EMU. The illustrated presentation explores the art and thought of 15 artists and their vision of peace and peacemaking.
The 80 art works included in the presentation are from Bethel College, N. Newton, Kan.; Bluffton University; Goshen College, Goshen, Ind.; and EMU. Artists from EMU include Barbara P. Fast and former instructor Scott Jost.
"My study seeks to discover how peace church theology is reflected in the work of Mennonite faculty artists and if they are, in any sense, spokespersons for peace through the process and products of their art activities," Luginbuhl stated.
The 45-minute Power Point lecture will give opportunity for audience questions. Admission to the program is free.
The annual C. Henry Smith Peace Lecture is named for the late C. Henry Smith, a prominent educator and pioneer in the comprehensive study and recorded history of Mennonites in America. Dr. Smith was dean at Goshen (IN) College, 1908-1913, then served at Bluffton as head of the history department from 1914 until his retirement in 1946.
Luginbuhl earned a B.A. degree from Bluffton and an MFA degree from the University of Montana. He has exhibited pottery and ceramic sculpture in regional and national exhibitions, receiving many awards for his work. An installation of eight ceramic plates with modeled imagery, "The Creation Series," and two bronze sculptures, "Jonah and the Whale" and "The Last First Draft," are permanently displayed on the Bluffton University campus.
Luginbuhl’s exhibit at EMU will be open for viewing daily during regular library hours through Oct. 1 free of charge.